Couple of 156 v6 issues need help with - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By Gertie
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 22-09-15 Thread Starter
County: Australia-
Couple of 156 v6 issues need help with

Hi there.

As well as all the other problems on my previous thread, I've got a couple more I need help understanding what to do.

my 1999 Alfa 156 2.5 v6 has a coolant leak fairly rather deep in the engine it seems. Wanting to get an idea of what this problem is and if I can fix it, as I have no idea. Theres a fair bit of coolant droplets stuck to bottom of certain parts in an area under the car, I've taken a few photos.

Also, the Previous owner put in green coolant in there... not me. I'll get to flushing it soon. Cause being the silly sausage I am I may of put in some red in there without checking :@

2nd of all. I need to take out both the high pressure and low pressure pipes for the power steering and I have no real idea how. Power steering was leaking, so I flushed out most of the old fluid. Without taking the pipes out. I Replaced most of it with "anti-leak" Power steering fluid, (which was made to be compatible for all fluids) But ended up not being a good mix at all with the remaining older fluid, as the power steering pump making crazy noises. I've currently got the car jacked, but I'm struggling to figure out a way to undo these pipes. As they don't seem to be as simple as they were on the youtube tutorials. Heres another picture of that. (left is low pressure) Also got 1.5L of Castrol Power Steering Fluid ready, should be compatible.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2201
County: Gauteng
Water: You'll have to trace the water leak - wipe the whole engine clean and let the car run HOT while standing still. It might be a very small hole in a hose that spray onto the engine only when it is really hot - this has happened to me...

Steering: The two hoses are the return feed from the steering rack and feed to the pump... all the liquid flows through the reservoir no high / low pressure there. To take those clamps off and back on, you need the correct tool really.

The back yard method is by taking a thin, flat screwdriver, wedge it on and pry it open. Getting it back on without the right tool is tricky - small long nose pliers on one side and side cutter on the other can work, but really fiddly.
Drillbit likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , couple , issues