156 (51-reg) belly pan replacement and fixing? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-09-15 Thread Starter
County: -
156 (51-reg) belly pan replacement and fixing?

Hello all,

the belly pan (or whatever they might be called on an Alfa) on my wife's 156 is in a bit of a state. A while back it lost two of its fixings and started sagging at the back. Losing its shape over time, it was only a couple of inches from the ground until I used some stiff wire to hold it up

The belly pan appears to be fixed at several points around the front, to the bottom of the chin of the car, but only seems to have two fixing points at the back. There is nothing supporting the centre of it other than its own rigidity. I can't see what sort of fixings used to be in there as they have vanished completely.

The panel has sagged and deformed so much it won't hold its shape if its refitted so I should find a replacement. A quick glimpse on ebay shows nothing. Also, I'd like to know what fixings were originally used at those two holes at the back? Can anyone tell me?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
The front fittings are M6 Torx bolts (T25 from memory) with a rather strange design. Standard 25mm M6 screws and a big washer work fine. Ideally get some stainless ones, and grease them before fitting, they are generally pigs to remove.

The standard rear ones are normal M6 bolts I think. The nuts are captive in the subframe and do occasionally corrode loose, I've seen all sorts of things welded in, but at the end of the day, it is just a bolt.

Undertrays - most of the s/h ones are as knackered as yours. New they are a fortune. There is a Polish outfit on ebay that sells pattern parts, seems to have a good rep. The real solution is an ally undertray from Alfisti or similar, sorts the problem for good.
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 JTD

Search Ebay for 'Alfa 156 undertray' and see what's there. Got one not so long ago from a seller called Nerobart for my JTD - less than 30 including delivery, delivered in a couple of days and, the best bit for me, to the local Argos across the road from work.

Fitted spot on first time, and whatever it's made of, it's strong and flexible because it was folded in half for delivery.
AO Silver Member
County: Northamptonshire

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 51reg , belly , fixing , pan , replacement