Clutch Problems 2005 156 JTD 1.9 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-09-15 Thread Starter
County: -
Clutch Problems 2005 156 JTD 1.9

I purchased a 156 that had a slipping clutch so after a few hundred miles decided to book it into a local garage to have it replaced.

I bought a Valeo kit from Euro and gave it to the garage to fit. The first clutch was fitted and it was very hard to get into gear then the release bearing was squealing when coasting so i took it straight back to the same garage that fit the kit. They said the bearing had failed and charged me labour to remove the clutch for which i had to get an exchange from Euro for another one.

They then fit the second clutch kit which they charged me labour for again, this time it was easier to get into gear and did not squeak so i thought my problems were solved until the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor!

After realising the slave cylinder was leaking the garage fitted a new slave and bleed the clutch, so my car worked for another 30 miles before it happened again.

Now when the clutch pedal is at the floor if you raise it with your foot it is extremely hard to push down again and i cannot engage any gear!

Now the garage wants to charge me another labour charge to remove the clutch as now they said the release bearing which is a one time fit has failed and has not engaged with the clutch plate!

I refused to pay the labour as its there fitting error but they refuse to take responsibility and state its a faulty part.

This is now the second Valeo clutch kit this garage have installed on my car so i find it hard to believe its a faulty part.

Does anyone have any advice about what i can do in this situation as i have paid a fortune in labour and still don't have a working car.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Gwynedd
Sounds like the problem is with the labour not the part.
If you post your approximate location perhaps someone could recommend a more able mechanic near by.
As for your current garage: don't use them again and don't recommend them if you're not happy with their service.
AO Member
County: Renfrewshire
I doubt very much its the parts and more the garage. The release bearing on my 156 failed and stopped the car going into gear properly when on of the lugs snapped off, but as it was the original clutch (a valeo item) and had done 123000 miles i guess i can't complain too much!

I fitted the new clutch myself and though its tricky and time consuming I would have thought any competent garage should be able to do it. It sounds like they may have put the first clutch plate in the wrong way or not engaged the forks correctly with the bearing.

The bearing can be separated from the pressure plate so it can be replaced on its own if required. Did you see the condition of the first clutch/bearing that you had fitted after the garage removed it?

Where in the UK are you?
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
Get them to source the replacement part. It becomes their burden if it fails again, for the part and the labour.

Or take it somewhere where they know what they're doing?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 2005 , clutch , jtd , problems