Well I had some tail lights for the facelift 147 laying around so I thought why not play around with them and see what I can achieve.
I removed the bulb holder, foam, screws and nuts before starting (basically I stripped the light down as far as possible bar the securing bolts).
Heating them in my fan assisted over @ 140C for 6 mins was good enough to get a small flat head on the join to crack them open - crack being the key word as the glue snaps!
While still warm and with the lens removed, I used the head of the screwdriver via the bulb holder to push against the internal diffuser.
The diffuser just popped out with very little effort.
I doubt I'll have an update on this project for a couple of weeks while I find funds, create an idea on the look of the finished product and order components.
I'm planning to investigate vacuum forming some clear 3mm acrylic and my only concern is whether the shape will fit easily or whether i'll need to cut-out the body of the existing lens and glue in the clear acrylic...hmmmm, let's see.
LED amber turn signals in the corner and fog/reverse section as a continuous line.
LED Side lights as above.
Challenges - need to be careful with the drawn current to ensure no bulb out lights on the dash.
For LEDS I may need some LED resistors
Let's see where this goes!
Feel free to make suggestions or comments :-)