Alfa 156 1.9jtd release bearing popping out! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-08-15 Thread Starter
County: -
Alfa 156 1.9jtd release bearing popping out!

Hi all, first time posting, long time lurker on here.

So, last week I took on the wonderful task of changing the clutch and dual mass flywheel. All went swimmingly, release bearing pushed in with relative ease. All back together, lovely. Drove it about for a few days fine, but on its longest run since the clutch change, after a short burst of power on an overtake I could feel a juddering just at the very top of the pedal. Then 10 miles on when powering through into 5th gear the release bearing popped and I had no clutch pedal at all. Lifting the pedal just caused the pedal to go hard as the slave had pushed out the push rod too far and couldn't go any further.

On final getting home without a clutch pedal, I stripped the battery and all that out to get to remove the slave, pushed the clutch arm to push the release bearing back in, and bobs your uncle it's perfect again.. The has happened twice now though making it a bit off putting to take it out

Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated, as I say, the bearing pushes in with ease and then works fine for a short while or until I'm powering it on the motorway etc. just wondering if I need to do anything else when seating the bearing, like a short prayer or something!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I would expect the circlip on the release bearing that holds it into the pressure plate is damaged and needs replacing. That is the only thing that holds the release bearing in place and it should click in and be rock solid.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 29-08-15 Thread Starter
County: -

I guess I knew the answer, just trying to find anything else that might be of help before I get the box off again.

When it goes in it does seem solid, and clutch disengagement is perfect. Only when i put more load on the engine, doing maybe 70-80 the judder starts, followed by the bearing popping a bit further down the road.

AO Member

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD

As Pud says it's likely to be the the circlip. Anyway you didn't mention whether you placed the plastic ring over the circlip when you assembled the clutch i.e. the first time. The second time you probably didn't as you did not take the gearbox out. Now it seems it may be difficult to get the release bearing to properly lock in place if missing to place the plastic ring over the circlip.

You may find some of the info/pictures in this thread useful (replacing the JTD clutch should not be this complicated)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 19jtd , alfa , bearing , popping , release