156 Suspension, Please Help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 v6

156 Suspension, Please Help

Bought myself a 1998 156 2.5, but it needs new rear shocks. I know someone selling the sports suspension with springs from a 2001 car.

Does anyone know if the shocks and springs will fit my car and what is the difference between the standard and sport shocks?

Are they the same fitting except that the sports are shorter?

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Re: 156 Suspension, Please Help

alfa dampers/shocks are nothing special, and usually lose performance after about 80K km's (50K miles), depending upon road conditions. meaning, if the ones you're looking at are as old as this, then they may not be good quality.

regardless, a set of aftermarket dampers is a much better option, but obviously costs more. if you're performance-minded, you should still consider something like KONI or Bilstein. dampers should be the same across the board for all 156 models as far as know.

springs will be different between V6 and TS models, so at least ensure the springs you buy suit a V6 (heavier nose, so stiffer front springs). sport springs will be slightly lower; alfa sport springs may be 10~15mm lower. aftermarket springs like Eibach Pro Kit will be more like 25~30mm lower.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

Re: 156 Suspension, Please Help

I can recommend Koni springs and dampers as a kit, top adjustable shocks, 100quid a corner. Get the proper kit rather than the halfway fast road version they do.
I have fitted them to my veloce sportwagon and its a huge improvement, only problem is they really could do with 17's rather than 16" rims.
Not really any more uncomfortable either, but really solid in the corners.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , suspension