Replacing 156 Boot Lock - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 12-09-07 Thread Starter
Replacing 156 Boot Lock

After changing the bootlid on my wifes 156 I am now faced with the challenge of swapping over the boot lock.

I removed the bootlock from the old bootlid by drilling the heads off the 2 security bults under the badge, but the problem with that is that I then won't be able to remove the threaded part of the bolt in order to fit new ones.

I've left the replacement bootlid with its original lock in place for now, which is OK as the boot can still be opened with the remote release, but just in case that fails I'd like the lock sorted.

Anyone know how to do it?????
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

Re: Replacing 156 Boot Lock

This should help, about half way down the thread.
AO Silver Member
County: Durham

if you get a fishing hook you should be able to pull the circlip off the lock barrel from inside the boot lid without removing anything else, then the lock barrel slides out (from the outside) when you insert a key and use it to pull the barrel out. not having the correct key can make it stick as the tumblers will not be fully retracted.
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9JTD 2005

these are called shear bolts and are designed as a fail safe but if you want the whole black circle off just tighten the long nut barrels till they shear then you can replace the whole mechanism and replace with new shaer bolts which cost about £1.00 each. however i replaced the whole boot lid which had to be re-sprayed therefore i needed to remove everything but if you don't need to spray the lid then just replace the barrel by removing the small retaining clip which is hard to see on the inside ,once its removed you can insert the key and slide the barrel out. good luck
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 12-09-07 Thread Starter

job done!
removed clips holding on boot carpet, removed the small clip in the recess on the bootlock (little bit fiddle but no major drama) pulled the old barrel out with my key. original barrel in, pop in clip and sorted. didn't even break into a sweat!!!

thanks for your help guys!
AO Gold Member

Ah - forgot to mention that you'd need to change the lock, mate...sorry about that....glad you got it sorted anyway.

Your wife had done a really good job on bending the bootlid witho ut damaging the bumper!!!!
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 13-09-07 Thread Starter

oh yes she did do a great of job of battering the bootlid without doing any damage to the bumper!! and she got it just about milimetre perfect in the middle too!!!! i think she must have tried really hard to do that!!

the car looks a lot better now, but could do with a new(er) steering wheel if thats something you can help out with?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , boot , lock , replacing