Alfa 147, Motor Control System Failure warning light - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-08-15 Thread Starter
County: Cavan
Help Alfa 147, Motor Control System Failure warning light

So I picked up my Alfa 147 1.6 TS for a song a few months ago. Always loved Alfas since my old boss had a 95 145 years ago and I thought it was a great car. A few issues with it, but I knew that hence the price. Just had the alternator sorted which was pricey enough. It's a lovely car, great to drive, but some of the issues would drive you mad I still don't understand why the likes of a light failure warning needs to beep at you incessantly before you get a chance to pick up a new bulb.

Anyway, the car had the motor control system failure warning come up soon after I got the car. I've read a number of threads on the site talking about the camshaft/rpm/crankshaft sensor. Mine has no problem starting up and running (the warning light comes on when you start though, but goes away), the only problem is when I sometimes get to just under 2000 rpm in 3rd and 4th gear, the car just feels dead and slow, the MCSF warning light comes on again, and then just after 2500 rpm, it picks up again and its flying. It feels like it was thinking about what to do for a few seconds and then it decides to give you power

I'm unsure whether to replace the sensor (I'm handy enough around cars, I can carry out work myself) but most of the other threads I've seen seem to talk about issues starting, complete loss of power etc. which I'm not having (and even possible old battery issues). Anybody got any idea what is happening here. I'm trying to do most of the work myself as I'm trying to save what I can in garage costs, but is it worth getting the codes read? Thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Get the fault codes read, its pointless (and expensive) just to guess!
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 18-08-15 Thread Starter
County: Cavan
Yeah Rockhopper, that's what I'm thinking, was just wondering if anyone has come across these symptoms before.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , control , failure , light , motor , system , warning