Rad change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-08-15 Thread Starter
County: -
Rad change

Help needed. How hard is it to change the radiator on 1.9 jtdm? I'm on my first Alfa after years of admiring them from a distance! I only bought it a few months back and it's already had a new turbo and now the rad has split! Luckily I got the turbo replaced by the garage I got it from, but it's a fair trek away so may fix the rad myself depending on the response I get on here!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
rads are fairly easy to replace TBH, its a simple case of jubilee clips and if you have never done it before going slowly.

things to be careful of..

1) be careful with the new rad when putting it in, its normally a tight space and they are easy to damage.

2) put the correct amount and right spec of coolant, the pink one is what we use in the JTDM, you don't have to buy paraflu just the pink one from ECP or shop4parts..

3) the system is self bleed so it should just work itself out but you must make sure there is little or no air in the system, get the coolant quantity and pretty much fill up and keep an eye on the level for about a week or so..it will probably need topping up a few times before it stabilizes.

oh and you don't need an OEM rad either this one will be just fine.

have some new jubilee clips ready to go and you should get this done a good bit for less than 100 and a few hours of your time. I can now do a BMW e36 rad change in about 1hr, it will take you a few hours the first time but best go slow and get it right.

good luck and enjoy the feeling of doing it yourself and avoiding a likely 250+ garage bill.

p.s I don't wish to scare you but its a good idea to look through the history and make sure you have an idea of WHY the rad has failed, if its still the original rad then its just likely to be wear and tear,if its had a couple I would be slightly concerned and any more would hint at an underlying problem.

its probably nothing but a banjaxed rad but do check the history before throwing parts at it.

Last edited by joeymannero; 17-08-15 at 12:34.
AO Gold Member
The official guidance is to remove the bumper to improve access, but its probably possible without - I've done one on a 156 without removing the bumper. The problems aren't with the main connections, its mainly with the screws holding the electric fan assembly to the rad, and the screws holding the air-con condenser and the ducting cowl to the front of the rad - acess to these screws can be difficult and they often shear.....

Given that the main element of the job is time, and that yours is probably cheaper than the garage's, I'd say doing it yourself is the way to go

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
props to the man above..........

have never done an alfa rad but I agree..it sounds like its a faff, but a simple faff...there is on any marque always a ''knack'' 6 hours the first time and 45 mins every time there after....

get parts and do it.

just take your time and take photos at each stage if you are not sure.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

change , rad