GT diesel clutch woes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By dunhookin
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 09-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
GT diesel clutch woes

Hoping for some learned intel on a really frustrating snag with my 2007 diesel GT. I've replaced the gearbox due to a grumbling synchro issue on 3rd gear. The clutch had been replaced just before I bought the car last year - so it was fine for re-use.

I separated the bearing from the cover using the MIG welding wire technique, refitted the clutch and the replacement gearbox. Problem is I can't now get the clutch to work. I have used a lever on the clutch actuating arm pushing sharply on it towards the NSF wing until there was a definite click. The actuating arm then feels pretty solid.

Re-fitting the slave cylinder (the hydraulics have not been disturbed at all) and trying the clutch, the pedal feels floppy and useless. Continuing to pump on it does eventually produce some movement of the slave pushrod, but as this builds up a little, there's a clicking noise - the actuating arm and the slave pushrod moves out fully towards the engine. Clearly the bearing is not locking itself properly in the cover....?

I can't understand why the bearing isn't staying locked into the cover having used the prescribed technique - or why the clutch is so useless for the short time it appears to be locked in to the cover...?

Can anyone help please - I've tried 4 times so far - really frustrated and hacked off. I would be very appreciate of any help.

Best regards

Andy H
Barchetta57 likes this.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD

When I struggled with getting the release bearing locked on to the clutch plate, it was because I did not realize the plastic washer on the release bearing was supposed to placed on the the locking spring. When doing this, the release bearing will slide & lock easier on to the plate. Anyway had to do the job twice because of this.. Hope yours is something else.
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
As ardi says the triangular section plastic ring is important, especially if the locking spring got a little deformed from the removal process. make sure it's the right way round. As you are going to have to remove that bloody box again and you have already successfully removed the locking spring once, why not try engaging the release bearing by hand without the gearbox. Assemble it all and just push it into the spring cover by hand. it should push in really easily, produce a fairly quiet click and then be impossible to pull out again. If there is a problem release bearings can be bought separately; sometimes the ears get bent and twisted and can fracture. The locating rings only come on with the clutch spring plates however.So if that's damaged you may have to buy a new clutch. Although I asked on here and someone who had just changed his clutch was kind enough to send me his old one and it's worked perfectly. This really is a great forum for people helping each other out.
When you are replacing the box make sure once you've engaged the shaft arms with the release bearing arms that you keep the clutch arm pushed as far towards the engine as you can till the bell housing is virtually in place as there is enough movement to allow the two to dissengage and the shaft arms to get on the wrong side of the bearing ears in which case it will push the bearing home ok but be pulling nothing when you try to use the clutch.

I should also say that although it isn't as easy on the Deisel as the V6 -where a little window is placed in the top of the bellhousing to allow you to see what's happening - it is possible to engage the clutch arm into the release bearing with it already in place in the clutch cover if you really need to.
Position the release bearing with it's ears at 6:30 and pull the clutch arm back as far as possible towards the gearbox.( The slave cylinder has to have been withdrawn from its bracket by removing the circlip ) slide the gearbox on until the clutch arms hit the spring cover and slowly move the arm forward as you slide the gearbox further on and the arms will more often than not engage in the release bearing ears; you can tell if it's worked because you then have the added bonus that pushing the clutch arm further will help to pull the gearbox the final few centimeters onto the studs.

Infamy, Infamy, They've all got it In For me!

Last edited by Yorkshirekeith; 10-08-15 at 09:39.
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 13-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
Originally Posted by pubsinger View Post
Thanks fellas for your help, intel and links to other members having exactly this snag. I will be having a tantrum about having to remove the gearbox again....deeply annoying.

For that reason, I won't be taking any chances and will be buying a new release bearing from the Alfa Workshop. Fortunately, I have another car so don't need my Alfa back on the road at the rush.

Thanks again boys

Best regards

Andy H

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clutch , diesel , woes