147 Fuel Gauge Issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 07-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
147 Fuel Gauge Issues

I seem to have a problem with the fuel gauge on my new 147 jtdm which is only a week old (covered 250 miles).

I started out today with 3/4 of a tank of fuel and after parking up on a curb and restarting the engine, the read out was 1/8 tank less, this went up slowly over time (15-20mins) but not back to the original spot, the same thing happened again and dropped a further 1/8 and slowly went back up, and again not quite up to where it was from the first drop.

Overall it seems the read out now shows the level of fuel below where it should be. The car is definately not leaking fuel. Perhaps the gauge is very sensitive or something, I don't really fancy taking it back to the dealer so soon, any advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 147 Fuel Gauge Issues

This is a common issue on 147s, when i got mine i was having the same problems, the fuel gauge would takes ages to get to the correct level, I think because it had been sitting for a long time in the garage.

Trust me; it should return to normal read outs after driving for a while.

But also it is normal (in 147s!)for the fuel guage to go down when the car is sitting on a slope with the nose pointing down and you have the engine on. The other day I was in traffic on a downslope and i lost one 'section' of fuel just sitting there! but then it came back up when i started driving on flat road!
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 07-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for that, I have read quite a lot of other threads about dodgy fuel guages, although I wasn't sure if it was also afflicting new 147s.

I'll see how it goes and try to not concentrate so much on it!
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 159 2.4 TI

The sensor that tells the gauge how much fuel is left is at the rear of the tank on a 156. if the fuel is getting down to around 1/8th of a tank and park facing down hill the warning light will come on. if you park facing up hill then the gauge will show nearly 1/4 of a tank. its probably a similar set up on the 147's

it usually takes a good few minutes once your back on the flat to get a correct reading again or if you turn the engine off and back on again on the flat it corrects itself as well.

it took me a while to work out why i could pull onto my drive with 1/4 of a tank and park up yet the following morning it would show 1/8th of a tank and the warning light would be on. sloping drives maybe they dont exist in italy ! lol

To give it a simple analogy if you have a half full pint glass and draw a line on the righthand side of the glass to mark the level and then another line at the quarter pint level then tip the class 35 degrees to the left and look at the level on the right side of the glass it will show only 1/4 of a pint. That exactley whats happening to the sensor in your fuel tank if you park on a kerb or pointing nose down a hill

Member car:

Alfa 147

147 cranking but not starting fuel guage

Hi all,

2 weeks ago dealer did a cambelt change and plugs and service $1800

Well on the weekend my 2005 147 with 70k on the clock just stopped while driving at 80k.
The error on the dash was Selespeed error.

towed it home and played around with it all day sunday.

First I checked the fuel hose under the plastic cover..when I pulled it off it had some fuel come out.
Cranked the engine over and no petrol coming out of hose.

Thinking that there was some petrol around the inlet it would be enough to crank for a second.
Pulled spark plug out and couldnt see any spark when we cranked it.

Thought that some sensor had gone and wouldnt let it fire.

This Morning Put it on a Flat bed and took it to the dealer ( I am a stupid but loyal customer)
Told them what I did and the first thing they did was put fuel in the tank and off she went.

The guage is fault...and apparently its very common on the 147. If it is why not tell people that a 6 year old car with 70k on the clock is going to have trouble with the sender.
1981 Toyota corolla never missed a beat.

anyway I bought another sender and going to put it in now myself!

but getting back to it just drove the giulietta while I was waiting and time to sell my 147.
gotta find out more about their issues.

they tell me that it turns off at the lights to save petrol.....thats what the rest of them did wasnt it

anyway I hope I can help someone else out with the same problem
AO Member
County: Essex
Italian fuel gauge...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , fuel , gauge , issues