Re-fixing 156 Veloce Side Skirts: Guide
Just refixed my side skirts today, as both were hanging off due to the failure of the body trim tape to hold them. I had previously re-attached one, with No More Nails, but this didn't hold, due to its brittleness and the vibrations of the car.
First, there are 7 screws with hexagonal heads under the car, and very hard to see. Remove these. There is a plastic plug that holds the sideskirt on at the rear, so pull from the back of the skirt, and have someone hold the front. Once this is out, the only thing that will be holding it is the remaining tape, and some rubber stuff from the factory, which will break off quite easily. The rubber is glued over rivets in the car's sill. I cleaned all the rubber off these, and off the inside of the skirt, and also took the opportunity to use a little touch up paint on some of the scuffs, and cover up bits on the sill where the paint had come off.
Then, I cleaned and sanded the inside of the side skirts, where the Sikaflex sealant would be applied. I also used turpentine to remove the polish from the sill on the car, to ensure a good join. Applied a large amount of sealant on the join, and held it onto the car, while my second pair of hands screwed in the 7 screws under the car. Then while I held it in place, the other propped the sill in place with wood and bricks, ensuring the very top of the skirt is being pressed on tightly.
I did the driver's side one yesterday, and this is the passenger side that I've done today. Drivers side is still held on very firmly, even after covering 50 miles. I will need to cut off the excess sealant that came out of the top when I pressed the sill down, which I will do carefully with a craft knife when I next wash the car.
I got the Sikaflex off ebay, in black, for about £8 delivered.
Last edited by Pud237; 02-12-15 at 14:09.