New 147 Owner: Oil... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

New 147 Owner: Oil...

Hi all,

Ive just picked up a 147 2.0 Selespeed on a '04 plate and it is so much fun to drive I can barely leave it alone! Now ive heard that because its a high performance engine it needs oil on a regualr basis, gonna go and top it up today just wondering what is the best oil to use? the manual is saying 10W-60 but was wondering what all ur opinons are? Also any other general tips for maintaining a 147 from you seasoned pro's would be much appreciated!!!

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Re: New 147 Owner: Oil...

Welcome to the forum Benjamin ....

Fully synthetic 10W-60. From Alfa that would be their Selenia product, but anything that matches the spec.

You could probably use the 10W40 semi-synthetic Selenia as well. 10W60 is used for "sporty" driving or harsher climates. I buy mine from my dealer or Shop4Parts website.

Check the level AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK. Some engines drink it at around 1litre every 1000 miles, others less. The gap between the top and bottom dimple on the dipstick is about 1 litre.
AO Platinum Member

Don't forget to check the Selespeed fluid level too.
Ignition on, check just after the pump stops.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 04-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

thanks guys i picked up the 10W60, ive only had it a week and the oil level was fine when i got it and it was well in need of a top up, then again ive done about 300 miles in a week!
AO Member

Member car:

Strangly my 147 uses no oil. In the last 9 months it hasn't needed any.

After reading the amount some people get through, I don't know what to think.

I still check it every week though, religiously.
Turin Brakes

My 147 gets checked monthly and usually needs about 0.5L extra. The 146 I had before that with basically the same engine (120PS 1.6 TS) never needed a top-up in 6 years.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 2.0 TS

mines using a fair bit at the moment but i think thats to do with the dreaded MOTOR CONTROL SYSTEM FAILURE message i recieved last week . into garage on thursday for a diagnostic and a good seeing to ,

once i get the engine sorted i can focus on getting some supersports and i think the front bushes are ready for changing .... people get on at me to get a more reliable car a more safe car a more practical car a car that costs less to run, but i keep telling them " i love everything about the alfa and i love the drive and the styling is just sheer brilliant "

i swear to god that the next peugeot hdi 55mpg driver puts the alfa down ill have to say " at least my cars not boring to drive" they can shove there £35 a year road tax where the sun doesnt shine ... i pay £112.75 for 6 months and i consider it money well spent.

Last edited by kmky; 05-09-07 at 02:29.
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk

Oil consumption can be odd. Both of ours can use no oil for weeks then in a few days the level drops - top up and a few more weeks go by. As you never know when this is going to happen it is essential to check at least once a week (as said above).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , oil , owner