Alfa 156 - electronics flicker - on ignition - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-07-15 Thread Starter
County: -
Alfa 156 - electronics flicker - on ignition

I went for a coffee today and came back to start my Alfa 156 ( 1999 ), but it wouldn't start.

It's been running OK until today... but when i turned the ignition, the electronics just flickered and the car didn't start. The engine didn't turn over... just fast flickering dashboard and no engine activation.

The battery seems OK as the interior fan was working.
I've uploaded a video of the problem below and hoping someone can help...

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Sounds like a dead battery but check the terminal connections and cables first to make sure one hasn't decided to fall off.
AO Silver Member
County: Gwynedd
Weak battery. You might measure 12 plus volts with the engine off but measure the voltage delivered when the engine is cranked. It will drop even with a good battery but with a failing battery the voltage drop will be very significant. I can't remember voltages but as a guide above 10v when starter is turning is good. The low voltage does all sorts of weird things to your dash like needles bouncing etc. If you hear a clicking this is because the solenoid doesn't have enough current in its electromagnet to pull the starter motor onto the engine fly wheel and it keeps disengaging. A new battery might not solve this as it is possible that the fault is with your alternator. Check the alternator is delivering charge when the car is running. If your still getting a dead battery then maybe something is drawing current when the car is off.
An aa guy will see this all the time. Call them out if you're a member they will diagnose very quickly.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 27-07-15 Thread Starter
cool, thanks for the tips

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa 156 , dashboard , flicker , flickering , ignition