Bird ***** and Alfa paintwork - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 24-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northumberland
Moaning Bird ***** and Alfa paintwork

Well, my week has ended badly / weekend has started badly!!

On Thursday morning my lovely Atlantico Blue Cloverleaf GT was shat on by what I can only assume was the biggest flying feathery friend known to man, I think the Dodo is back from extinction!! The N/S rear window area scattered with a good 6 or 7 droppings of various sizes. I think the birds have been getting fed steroids up here in the north!

Washed at the first opportunity I had, which happened to be this afternoon, about 2pm. So the crap may have been there around 30 hours max.

Washed off...paint appears to be ruined!! Has anyone else experienced this before?! I know different manufacturers have very different standards of paintwork. I have noticed on my GT that the finish isn't great quality, but I'm absolutely amazed that bird crap has had such an impact after this length of time.

Gutted is an understatement.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Devon
What did you wash with?

Tried a glue/tar remover? Good for bonded contaminants!

Tried claying the area? Good for pretty much anything stuck in!

Worst case scenario it might have etched the top coat a little, I would have thought it would polish out!

Get a post with some pictures up in the Detailing forum, and patiently await the opinion of our resident professional detailers (looking at you Tommywho!)
AO Member
County: Buskerud

Member car:

95 2.0TS GTV

Any protection on the paint? Wax,sealant etc?
Im amazed by the short amount of time it takes for bird poo to etch into the clear coat.

The simple rule to prevent it is to have a good paint sealant/wax on the paint and to remove the bird poo as quickly as possible, even if you have to remove it with a Microfiber cloth and APC(dab,dab,dab, not rub), its way easier to remove a few "love marks" than having to wetsand, compound and polish the etching away.
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

147 jtd 16v mjet

If it's burnt the lacquer even mopping it will not help

Last edited by rc_addicted; 24-07-15 at 21:07.
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Originally Posted by rc_addicted View Post
If it's burnt the lacquer even mopping it will not help
Bad luck, having lived by the coast for many years, the dreaded gulls that look like albatrosses, deposit what can only be likened to tar/concrete! The effect is that a white car assumes the characteristics of a Dalmatian dog. Then again the little garden birds that favour berries at this time of year have a knack of conducting bombing runs on cars that leave our pride and joy look like victims of a shot gun attack!

To contextualise my woes with guano is that many years ago, after a frenzied gull attack my girlfriend, now wife thought she would surprise me by clearing the atrocity that graced my Quattro. With much diligence she took a wire brush to the silver bonnet and scrubbed away. The result - a de-pood car whose bonnet now looked as if miniature Torville and Deans had re-enacted the Bollero on it!

I share your pain.
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
I too live on the coast and the gulls are a PITA, car owners on the seafront suffer quite staggering amounts of droppings on their cars, I'll take a photo next time I see a fine example.

Mme. Pub had a new Leon back in 2009, only had it a few weeks and suffered a splat on the bonnet, removed it as soon as it was noticed but it left a mark that never did polish out, it was only visible from certain angles but it was demoralising to know it was there.

All the best

AO Silver Member
County: Devon
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 28-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northumberland
Thanks for the replies

Being honest, I've never used a sealant and only wax occasionally, so this will be changing to be a more regular occurrence. Will have a good read of the referenced thread, thanks.

As a last resort before taking it to be looked at by a local bodyshop, I got some kettle boiled water and a J-cloth and rubbed as hard as I possibly could. Amazingly it seems to have done the trick. I was 100% sure the lacquer had been damaged as a minimum, and really thought the paint was damaged, the finish had turned really rough and even looked like it was cracked/pitted in places.

All I can think is that only the very top coat of lacquer was damaged, and I've subsequently worn this away with my vigorous rubbing! Either that, or the remains of the bird mess had dried/attached itself to the lacquer and made it look and feel like the paintwork was knackered.

Either way, I'm massively relieved the paint itself isn't damaged. When the heavens stop coming down I'll be able to have a good look, in decent light, and see if I am missing some lacquer on these spots. But from what I can see at the moment, it doesn't look noticeable...

Will be taking better precautions with regards to sealant/wax in future

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , bird , paintwork