Rust! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 20-07-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Hampshire
Hmmm Rust!

I picked up my 156 about 2 weeks ago and in that time I've attended to a few niggles.

A/C regas, replaced the crank pulley which was in pretty bad shape, gave it a damn good clean and seal, fixed a coolant leak, changed the oil, and the one thing that struck me was how good a shape it was in structurally. No obvious rust anywhere to be seen.

That was until I took out the spare wheel to inspect the tread... Oh dear. Saw a small spot of surface rust, pushed it with a screwdriver and this is what happened. Big hole right up to the seams.

I suspect this is due to leaking around the rear light clusters as they have been taped, and I planned on resealing them properly. There was also sealant around the rear window so there have evidently been leaks there in the past which I now fear will have gone straight into the rear floor pans.

I'm not after any specific advice here as I know what I'm going to do (Carpets/Interior out, wheel liners out, inspect everything) but I'm curious as to other 156 owners experience with rust. How much welding you've had to have done and how much it cost because I don't own a welder. Although perhaps this is a good excuse...

What do we think? I've been reading into this a lot and I am now to put it mildly terrified what I'm going to find when I pull the carpets out next weekend.

It's a 1998 156 V6 which I believe had a better under seal protection than later cars, and I also found a receipt from about 8 years ago suggesting it had been resealed underneath. It does however have a sunroof, which by all accounts is bad and I'm not sure if it is draining correctly or not.

Other than that in love with the car. It's 17 years old and made of pasta but its worth the pain for the sound of that engine and how it looks, even though the paintwork has seen better days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rust.jpg (88.3 KB, 19 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT