Buying 156 SW TI JTD - 170k miles: - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By dgmayhead
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 18-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147 JTD 1.9 Q2

Buying 156 SW TI JTD - 170k miles:

Hi guys,

Found a TI 156 SW that i love the look of,

Only problem that is concerning me is the mileage. Its on around 170k now for a 54 plate car. Now i know its only around 17k miles a year but am looking at doing 15k miles each year myself so will soon be very high mileage and not an easy re sell!

It has had DMF and Clutch at 140k as well as water pump so has had the expensive parts done! Also a FSH as far as i know.

Any advice only higher mileage cars like this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
only the usual stuff...Rust can be an issue on the floorpan with these, and make sure upper and lower wishbones have been done or budget for them.

cambelt is every 72k,most would advise doing it a little earlier, water pump at the same time,also listen for exhaust blowing, it's normally the flexi pipe,GT's 156's and 147's all share that particular weakness..

clutch done,dmf done so all good by the sounds of it...

my 75k GT needed it in the first 3 months of purchase, it's an 08 with FSH and felt fine on the test drive so you never can tell..I have also replaced the front upper and lower wishbones, again fine on the test drive, it appeared 3 months in, someone had used aftermarket replacements that were made of cheese.

we are obsessed with mileage in this country, 170k wouldn't bother me if the history is good and the expensive bits have been done..these engines are good for 400k as proven on a number of saab 93's with the fiat lump in them, its the ancillaries that will be a potential problem at that mileage,but if they have all been done at some point, other than the possible rust and value you are in the same position as buying a car at 100k in terms of risk.

just go in with your eyes open and be aware that something will need doing in the first year,buying a used car is always a risk at whatever mileage, as no matter what the book says your really in the dark in terms of what has happened with the vehicle up until your ownership.

when you buy a car with that mileage on you can forget re-sell value, you are buying cheap (I hope) and getting a lot of car for the money, you can't have it all!

the other option is to spend more on a lower mileage example but that is no guarantee of trouble free motoring as I have found out.

if I were to purchase again I would probably find a rust free example of whatever car, OVER 100k to pay less on the purchase, at that mileage almost all of the work mentioned will have been done or the car would not have passed its MOT's..

good luck!
AO Member
County: Norfolk
My 156 SW is of the same age with 152k on the clock and overall is pretty good.

I did however notice the other day that I had a small split in one of the vacuum hoses that goes onto the boost control solenoid. This has been temporarily 'fixed' while I wait for some new silicone hose to arrive then I will replace all of the vacuum hosing.

It would appear that the hoses to the intercooler are still original on mine so I think that these will be replaced with some silicone ones shortly and it is very likely that I will replace the rubber brake hoses with some braided steel versions.

I guess what I am trying to say is that cars of this type of age have things about them that are just getting on and might well need replacing, some you do as you find them, others can be done as preventative maintenance as they are known problem areas.

As joeymannero has said, resale value does not really come into it, I like my 156 SW Ti as it mostly fits my needs for a car, is good to drive and pretty to look at.

Let us know if you decide to go for it.
AO Silver Member
County: Gwynedd
2200 on ebay? Red? Big wheels?
The pictures are very flattering. The mileage shouldn't be a problem if the car has been well looked after. Check it out.

The price is a bit steep from a private seller, I think. Remember this will be sold as seen and no comebacks if after 2 days of ownership you realise you're going to be hit with massive bills or it's a cat d, or has finance on it etc. Does he have receipts for work or do you just have to trust him.

If you go and have a look at it remember to check the seller out as well. If you get any bad vibes other 156 are available although I have to admit this is a particularly handsome one.

Basically be wary. A professional valet on a good looking car can work wonders when it's time to sell. As a buyer though it's the mechanicals you have to focus on.
joeymannero likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 19-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147 JTD 1.9 Q2

Spoke to seller today and car is sold! But yes it is the one that was on ebay.

Never mind. One will come up again! Did think it was expensive for the mileage.

Although the TI models dont come up often ill probably end up with a veloce model.

Cheers for the advice guys.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 170k , buying , jtd , miles