Battery keeps draining - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Battery keeps draining

Have a 03 Alfa 147. If left for longer than 24 hours battery goes flat.

Took it into Alfa who said there was nothing wrong but need a new battery. Duly brought a new battery. Got up this morning and (no surprises here) the battery had gone flat.

So I`m back to disconnecting the battery each night...

Will take it back to Alfa (its under guarentee) but any advice?

and yes, I`ve checked for any lights left on etc
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

Re: Battery keeps draining

Sorry to hear of you problem, but I has something similar recently with a Fiat Stilo.

Turns out it was the 'body computer' not shutting down fully which was causing a heavy load/drain on the battery even when the egine was off and all the doors closed/locked etc.

It was actually the AA who diagnosed the fault as I had to call them out. hey got the car started, but it was during the battery testing procedure they followed on with that they uncovered the problem. They have some piece of kit that monoitors battery drain after everything is shut down.

Might be worth giving them a call if you are a member?

I was lucky in the sense that it was covered under warranty etc, but it might be smewhere to look.

Hope this helps.

I had a similar problem & as I work in the Middle East & go home every 2-3 months Alfa obviously blamed me but after this initially happened when the car was about 6months old (January 2006 model 147GTA), my wife starts the car every couple of days & takes it for a short 10-15k run once a week. Between July 2006 to July 2007 I have had 3Xnew batteries, culminating in a seriously expensive type of battery by Ultima, usually reserved for cars with mega ICE installs.
Eventually after replacing alternators & the like the fault was eventually traced to an electrical drain from beleive it or not the GPS unit. Once this was rectified, no problems since.
Don't know if this helps? In my car the GPS/Radio/CD unit was replaced as well as some wiring.
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Originally Posted by Monstro3.7 View Post wife starts the car every couple of days & takes it for a short 10-15k run once a week.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

battery , draining