ABS and VDC failure - then can't select gears! Any ideas? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-08-07 Thread Starter
ABS and VDC failure - then can't select gears! Any ideas?

Hi all,

Took my 2001 147 Selespeed into Lombarda, London on Wednesday for a service. Among other things, the tyres were changed and so were the front lower suspension arms.

After about 12 miles, I got the double ABS/VDC failure which I thought may be a random one. Drove the car next on Friday and got the ABS/VDC failure pretty much straightaway and decided I'm taking it back to Lombarda asap.

Then today (saturday) I pulled up outside my house after about an hour on the road, put the car into neutral with the engine running and when I went to re-engage 1st it would not allow me to, nor would it for reverse. I ended up pushing the car off the road and then I tried about 10 minutes later and it would let me select gears.

I'm wondering whether the two incidents are linked because I have read on here that the ABS/VDC failure is a brake sensor issue. Is it possible this same sensor or another one failed to tell the gearbox that I had my foot on the brake, therefore not letting me select 1st?

It's a bank holiday now and I'm not going to get a chance to take it back to Lombarda for another four or so days. Do people think I will be OK to drive it between now and then or whether the issues are linked?

thanks, ed.
Sponsored Links
Re: ABS and VDC failure - then can't select gears! Any ideas?

Sounds rather dodgy, if you can avoid using it do, if not remember RAC, AA etc card!
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Re: ABS and VDC failure - then can't select gears! Any ideas?

Not uncommon for these sort of anomalies to appear instead of showing a 'battery charge low' sign, first thing to check at least and easy to confirm if you have a voltmeter handy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

abs , failure , gears , ideas , select , vdc