New Car Questions: Alfa 156 2.0 JTS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 06-07-15 Thread Starter
County: -
New Car Questions: Alfa 156 2.0 JTS

Hey Guys

I have recently gotten my first car, and 2004 156 2.0 JTS 5 speed manual. What a first car, i know. I have a few questions, as even though it drives like a dream, there are some little niggly issues.

First, two days after purchasing the vehicle, i started the car up, let it idle a but, then chucked her in reverse to back out the garage. This is where is got my first engine control system failure. I opened the bonnet, came back to the car, and the light was gone. Didn't think too much of it. It happened again, and now, after taken it for a 20 minute drive, the engine light and warning is on constantly, and wont turn off. All oil and water levels are fine, and the car doesn't seem to be low on power or ahve any other problems.

Second, on about once every third time, to get the car into reverse, i need to apply a bit more pressure then normal, and i fell a little grind before it slips into gear. This is also my first manual car, so i dont know if this is general normal or not. i was told is was just because reverse doesn't have a syncro, but i dont think that explain it happen once in a while like it does.

Thirdly, the car sounds alright, but it is a little louder than our other four cylinder cars. I dont know if its the way the car is supposed to be, or their is a hole in the exhaust. I wouldn't know, as i've never herd another 156, and when idling, there are some fumes which enter the cabin, making me think it is likely a hole.

Also, there is a squeak from behind the front left of the dash when is hit a bump, which i've researched to think it may be the upper control arm bushings. I constantly have the airbage light on, my driver side control knob for the climate control doesnt work, and the drivers side window switch is broken.

Other then that, the car is nice to drive and a fun run about. It would be much appreciated if someone could help me out with a couple of issues.

Last edited by alfaromeo156ti; 06-07-15 at 09:49.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Need to know what the error code is to try help you with the engine management.
So you'll need a garage or you'll need Mutiscan tool and the software.

The gearbox issue. Normal for most car's if still rolling. Shouldn't be a issue when parked up.
Changing the gearbox oil will help. If not maybe your clutch isn't being fully depressed.
Again not much you can do about this bar make sure oil level in the gearbox is good and that the clutch has been bleed correctly.

Third issue. I imagine your flexi joint basically under where you **** has split a little if it is an issue with the exhaust.

Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
AO Platinum Member
Brake fluid should be changed every 2-years, most won't be changed that often and when they are done the clutch is often missed (it shares the same fluid). So clutch circuit can end up with very old fluid and a bit of air.
So bleeding the clutch is a good starting point.

As for exhaust noise. Put your hand over the end of the exhaust tailpipe. You'll soon tell if there are any holes.

Very common for the 2.0JTS to get EML errors from the front Lambda sensors (dodgy connectors, even from new), but you need it on diags to know for sure that it is that. Don't just start randomly replacing bits. That quickly turns very expensive and rarely hits the fault first time.

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 06-07-15 Thread Starter
County: -
Thanks guys.

I think I found the exhaust problem. It appears the previous owner had cut out everything from the flexi joint to the rear muffler and welded pipe straight through. That would explain the sound.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , car , jts , questions