GT 3.2 misfire and other bizarre issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA 3.2 V6

GT 3.2 misfire and other bizarre issue

Hi all

I just left a deposit on a lovely 3.2 GT with 110K on the clock and a FSH. A mass of money has been spent on this cars maintenance and it shows! No bent sills either.

The seller is a lovely chap as has been very honest. These are the issues below;

- Coolant level was about 300ml low this morning from a cold start. We topped it up. The rad was changed in 2012 and I'm wondering whether the water level was never topped up correctly due to the horrendous discolouration of the tank?

- Started fine, no smoke, nice and smooth.

- Intermittently the vehicle goes into a small misfire at idle only.

- Engine power and torque are fantastic, pulls smooth no overheating.

- The misfire at idle got slightly worse with the AC compressor engaged.

- The seller informed me that the vehicle misfires far worse with a full tank of fuel! Putting 3/4 in doesn't seem to affect it, but fill her up and she will cough and splutter all over the place.

- When I keyed the ignition off after about 30 mins of driving the engine pinked like an old Cortina and ran on!

- I started again and keyed off, no pinking.

I'm wondering now whether the car has head gasket issues? Doesn't explain the misfire with a full tank though....

What do you guys think?

The injectors have been cleaned professionally and apparently there are no codes on the ECU when the misfire occurs, which is why nobody has been able to track it down.

The seller is as straight as they come, having owned it for 1.5 years and having purchased it from their Alfisti neighbour.

The vehicle has predominantly been maintained by Alfa Aid in Reading. It has seen new suspension arms, cables, radiator, Q2 diff, GTA clutch/flywheel etc with masses of very expensive receipts.

Not sure what to do. I've left a deposit knowing the above but was hoping it would be fuelling related (maybe MAF?) and not something huge like a HG job.

Ideas appreciated gents.

I don't want to let the seller down now as I feel like I would be going back on my word.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
Just a wild guess - but since filling the petrol tank up makes the problem worse and idle is worse, could it be a blocked breather valve / pipe? I'm not sure what is fitted to the GT petrol tank and perhaps others can advise. If you do buy the car, I would fill the tank up, wait until the misfire starts, then stop the engine and undo the petrol tank filler cap. If you get one massive hiss I suspect you will have found the problem.
AO Member
County: Essex
I think the running on is also a clue. When you key-off no more fuel is injected, so it must be coming from the tank breather system. It looks like the purge control valve has stuck open. I don't know where it is on your car, but it will be in one of the lines connected to the inlet manifold. Post a photo if you want confirmation.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bizarre , issue , misfire