Selespeed P1691 Error - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 29-06-15 Thread Starter
County: Vestfold
Help Selespeed P1691 Error

Hi, So this might be a lengthy one..

I have a 2.0TS 1999 Selespeed with 128.000KM on the clock that has developed a weird error.

When slowing down to traffic lights and other stops, it sometimes feels like the car is about to stall. The revs go into the bottom red then bounce back to normal idle.

Feels like the selespeed isn't disconnecting the clutch almost? Randomly when this happens the red injector light will come on (Engine management light on the pre 2001 i suppose?)

The throttle then stops working and the engine remains at idle speed. If i turn the engine off and on again the car works as normal again, however the injector light stays on for about 30 seconds then goes out.

I hooked up my cable to read faultcodes and got P1691. Screenshot attached. Seems nonsensical, ECU problems?

Things i have done since i got this error is to change the Timingbelt, oil and oilfilter and some new sparkplugs. Also had the selespeed adjusted so it feels abit smoother. The guys at the garage could not replicate the red injector light fault and engine falling to idle. For a moment they thought it might be the Crank sensor, but as the engine never stalls completely or has any problems starting up they ruled it out.

I need to get the car back to the garage eventually just thought i would check here if somebody has had the same fault.

Other things i have noticed recently

1.Selepump primes quickly when opening the door in the morning, but seems to reprime every 6 minutes or so if i sit in the car with the ignition on. (is this a normal interval?)

2.To avoid the almost stall i thought i would try shifting into neutral a few meters before the traffic lights and coast. However, that made the car freak out..

The oil and battery symbols came on and the selespeed gearbox icon flashed for the first time i have had the car. Started the car again and everything back to normal. Stopped the car to a bit down the road to check that the oil lamp didn't come on due to me actually having no oil. checked the selefluid while i was at it and it was below the min on the dipstick, but still above the metal baffle. Threw some more oil in there and the gearchanges became a bit smoother but still the "almost stalling" when slowing down to a crawl remains.

3.Tiny tiny Specs of oil if the car has been parked for a while. I think it might be selespeed oil as the engine itself has not used any oil, but i have to investigate this further. The tutela CS speed oil and my engine oil has the same golden color, and the engine oil doesn't seem to get dirty

4.Compared to my previous Alfa, a 156 2001 Selespeed that died of pistonring failure (RIP) the selespeed is a bit louder on gear changes. it really slams the gears in gear.This is really only audible if the car is stationary though.

Also this car got a new Gearbox from the factory at around 70.000km due to a crack in the case. (previous owner)

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 156 P1691 Error.jpg (68.7 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Mines doing that at the mo, and it's giving a MAF sensor failure code. P0100. Idle is a bit rough, and apart from stalling every so often as you describe, drives fine. I have a new MAF so will replace in the next day or so and see if it sorts it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 23-06-16 Thread Starter
County: Vestfold
Sorry to bring up this old post, but i forgot to add a solution once i found it.

In my case the car has had no problems after i changed the Transmission Oil (Not Selespeed Oil) and the Airfilter.

Airfilter had been changed regularly so im guessing it was the Transmission Oil that fixed it.

The car had not done more than 128.000KM when the problem started and has had a replacement Transmission at 70.000KM.

I would recommend changing the oil based on age rather than mileage, as she is starting to pile on the years and is not driven all that much.

Keep your ladies properly lubed guys

Just wanting to help out if anybody else has had the same faultcode and symptoms.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

error , p1691 , selespeed