10w30 oil in 147 (1.6) t-spark? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

10w30 oil in 147 (1.6) t-spark?

Hi All,

I know the oil discussion has been done to death already on this web site. But I cant find out if 10W30 is bad for a 147 engine.

I would have topped up my engine with 10W40 but the place i went to only had 10W30. The instructions on the bottle said 10W30 is fine for all petrol engines so I thought why not.

But after reading some of the posts regarding oil in general, I wonder have I put a type of oil that will not protect my engine properly.

I havent had any warning lights come on, the engine sounds fine and there is no smoke out the back so I havent experienced any problems. I will get selena put into it at the next service (in about 7,000km) so I'm just wondering if it will be ok to keep topping up with 10W30?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: 10w30 oil in 147 (1.6) t-spark?

If you've just topped up with it, it's certainly not the end of the world. It's not ideal, but different grades of oil, and even mineral/synthetic oil are supposed to mix fine according to the oil companies.

As the oil you've used runs thinner when warm it might burn off quicker, but obviously as an Alfa owner you check the oil weekly......right?

My last 156 (a 2.5 V6) was routinely filled with 5W 30 fully synth oil by the AR main dealer I used to use then. Years later I discovered this was the wrong grade! With my GTA I take my own oil, I simply don't trust any garage/dealer to have 10W 60 fully synth oil knocking about, or to care what grade is used...
AO Member

Member car:

Fiat Punto Turbo

Re: 10w30 oil in 147 (1.6) t-spark?

10w40 or 5w40 fully synthetic only.
10w30 is slightly thin for your engine.
TBH I use 5w40 carlube R series its only bout 25quid for 5 ltrs, stays clean for the full 6k till between changes. the 5 means its thiner from cold alowing it to lubricate your engine faster when startin from cold, which is the time 99% of most engine damage occurs.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

10w30 , 147 , oil , tspark