water - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-08-07 Thread Starter
Not Happy water

my 2.5v6 has started to use water - any checks i should do?
there is no mayonaise at the oil filler.

any sugestions would be apreciated

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Re: water

Could be a tiny leak in a pipe or the rad is on the way out. Same happened to my TS and I could find a leak no matter where I looked. It's often between the rad a a/c condensor.

You don't say how old your car is, but they generally last 5-6 years ... sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the coolant mix (less coolant, more water = more corrosion)
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

firstly, test if ur system is holding pressure. if its not its a definite leak.

put in some coolant - the red or green stuff that leaves residue - and try to trace where the coolant is leaking out. could be from a corroded rad, from one of the hoses/seals, or even the return hose to the overflow tank.

Member car:

alfa 156

You can connect a system pressure tester, this is basically a pump that fits on the rad or expansion cap. Then you hand pump it to a set pressure( 15 psi is the norm ) and then look for leaks around the engine if the pressure gauge drops over a short period of time. This prevents you sticking your head in and around the engine bay when the engine is running! You can buy these testers from sykes pickavant the tool company, but can be expensive, take the car to a local garage and they should be able to do it. Note that if the pressure does drop on the tester and there are no visable signs of leaks, it could be the head gasket leaking, check for white smoke at the exhaust (steam), remove a sparkplug and check it's colour...normal running is light brown. Head gasket failure doesn't always contaminate the oil. before head removal you could do a cylinder compression test, again can be done at a local garage. PS don't forget that the heater matrix inside the car can leak, this is noted by a sweet antifreeze smell inside the car when it is running Hope this helps

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT