Clutch packed up again , pedal gone limp and crunching the gears, and I managed to get it back by bleeding the system again. . By the way, bleeding the clutch is very simple, I found out the hard way. ......you don`t need to remove the battery or battery tray.
Reach in under the side of the battery bay at the side of the engine and with a pliers pull the clip that holds the rubber hose that goes into the slave cylinder receptacle from the brake fluid reservoir , out , don`t drop it and put it in a safe place. Fluid will start to come out of this hose. Ideally beforehand have a glass jar available with some fluid in it and stick the hose into the fluid. This is difficult to do and it is a lot simpler to just let it dribble onto the side of the gearbox and onto some receptacle / tray underneath and clean up afterwards. Undo the brake fluid reservoir cap to help the flow. If you have managed to have the hose end immersed in fluid in a jar, you will see the air bubbles coming out and eventually getting less ( 15 min ? ) Either way , let the fluid flow for 10-15 min, it flows slowly, ensuring the brake fluid reservoir does not empty.
After the fluid is flowing for 10-15 min , plug the hose back into the slave cylinder and insert the clip locking it into place . Hey presto, clutch action restored. I have done this successfully about 3 times, the first time I had my daughter moving the pedal up and down by hand, while I inserted the hose in and out to an interm position , out on the down stroke and in on the upstroke....with a bleed hose connected. It didn`t work. The above method works fine and you don`t need assistance. Anyway, time to bite the bullet and replace the master cylinder. I was fairly confident it was the master cylinder as there was no fluid loss and it came good on bleeding. Replacing the master cylinder was not easy in my case.
I priced around the part and it vairied from 150 Euro from a dealer and 60 euro from the internet. Went for the 60 euro option......the one that arrived didn`t look right and didn`t look like the advertisement pic. . It was cast aluminium, mounting holes looked o.k, the stroke length was wrong and the inlet pipe was missing and not transferable from the old one. Figured this out without removing the old cyl. , which was plastic and sent it back Part no LPR 2118. The Supplier had no alternates and swore it was the correct one. Got another one from another supplier, p/n: 804637, it looked right , Valeo brand and plastic. Removed the old one and the stroke was different. Mine had a much shorter push rod and the inlet pipe faced the other way.
Removing the old cyl was difficult. The exit pipe is metal and is held into the cyl end by a clip just like the arrangement down at the slave cylinder. I had to remove it blind and access was minimal and difficult. Removing the inlet hose from the supply pipe was also difficult . One of those preformed clips that you need a special pliers for....it didn`t matter that I didn`t have one....access was a problem. Eventually released it with a podger.
I eventually figured out you could transfer the push rods, it`s not obvious. Pull back the rubber gaiter, and there is a plastic circlip, I only found out by fiddling at it with a circlip pliers while taking the weight off the pushrod, it moved and then slid out. Easy when you see how it works.
I couldnt reuse the old inlet rubber hose as the inlet pipe to the new cyl was 180 deg out and not moveable. I needed a longer hose. The standard fuel hose spares I had were fine but outside diameter was larger and it wouldn`t fit thro the bulkhead grommet. I pared the inside of the grommet ( off the car ) until the hose would slide through. Fitting it from inside the car was straighforward, a little difficult lying on your back in the drivers foot well.
Bolt into place , connect to the pedal with the clip locking it in place , feeding the hose thro the bulkhead grommet and cutting it to length the far side. It took a while to get the metal hose to fit into the exit port on the engine side and refitting the clip was a bit of a houdini effort....managed in the end. Bled the system as described before. It took me about 3 hours, with anxious moments overcoming the various difficulties. Grazed knuckles, pulled muscles and lots of expletives....I`m not 25 any more and felt it.
Its working fine now....hope it stays that way and doesn`t end up being the slave cylinder and gearbox out !.......time for feet up and a well deserved beer.