Selespeed Issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 17-08-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 Selespeed

Selespeed Issue

Dear Alfa Owner Forum Members:

I bought a 2003 147 Selespeed new in the Netherlands. The car has been a great pleasure to drive and I'm very fond of it. I've had no major problems and only a few very minor problems with the Selespeed - until recently. My car now has a gremlin. My problem is that when the car is cold, the Selespeed has a difficult time deciding which gear to start in when in manual mode. It will shift to 1, then the 1 starts flashing. When the light is flashing, it is a clear indication that the Selespeed is having difficulty deciding which gear it should be in. It is then liable to shift to 2nd and occasionally even higher up to 3rd or 4th without any command. It is rather dangerous because when it shifts to 2nd immediately when starting off, the car does not have sufficient power, much to the surprise of cars behind.

Occasionally, the car will not start if I have turned the car off in 1st gear. If I try to start it after having turned the car off in 1st gear and leaving it overnight, it won't turn over at all when I try to start it again. I must turn the power on, shift to 2nd, turn the power off and restart it. Then it starts just fine.

After the car warms up, all of these problems go away and the car will start and shift normally the rest of the day. If I shut the car down in 2nd gear rather than 1st gear, it seems to reduce the problem upon subsequent startups - but not completely.

I have had Alfa mechanics, both private and authorized, look at the problem, but they are puzzled. They thought it was a problem with communication between the engine and control unit and cleaned contacts in the wiring. But that didn't solve the problem. My question to the forum is twofold:

1. Has anyone heard of this problem and have an idea what might be the cause?
2. Does anyone know of a real Selespeed expert in the Netherlands where I am located - or Germany nearby.

Thank you and kind regards,

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: Selespeed Issue

As you may know, the system needs to shift into "N" before it will allow the engine to turn over.
If it can't, you will just get silence when you turn the key.

Try manually shifting to "N" before trying to start.

Also, listen for the sound if the Selespeed pump when you open the door to get in. If there is no pressure it can't select "N" so will not allow it to be started.
I also always wait for all the pumps to stop before starting (the Selespeed pump should run again, together with the fuel pump when you first turn the ignition on).

If you can't hear the Selespeed pump running, then that is probably the cause of at least some of your problems.

Also make sure the Selespeed fluid level is at the "Max" mark.

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 17-08-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 Selespeed

Re: Selespeed Issue

Dear David,

Thank you for your advice. I'm careful about waiting for the pump to finish and I have checked the selespeed oil pressure and it is at the high mark - but not over. But I will pay attention to see if I can spot any correlations. What would cause the gear number (usually 1st) to flash on the panel? When I get a solid display, I have no problems. But when the 1 flashes, I know that the car has not decided on what gear it should be in and starts searching (on its own with city mode off).

Kind regards,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

issue , selespeed