Alfa GT CD Changer Emulator Installation - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By w00x

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 07-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Plovdiv
Alfa GT CD Changer Emulator Installation

Hello everyone,

I have an Alfa GT 2006 with a Nav+ head unit.

I plan on installing a CD Changer Emulator. I know that it is a simple connection to the CD Changer port on the back of the unit.

My question is with the installation of the box itself in the glovebox. How do I access the glovebox in order to put the Emulator box there? Do I have to cut or drill somewhere?

Can someone that has already done this share their experience?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Spacecadet

Alfa GT CD Changer Emulator Installation

I did this on my 156.

I removed the stereo to fit the cables to the back and the glovebox to fit the cable.

The glovebox access is either possible by:

1) taking the cable from the back of the stereo out under the dash then into the glovebox next to the hinge. That way involves no damage, but the cable is visible.

2) drilling a hole in the side of the glovebox to feed the cable through.

3) using the hatch at the top of the glovebox to get the cable in.

I drilled a hole so the cable pokes through just where I wanted the iPod to live.

To remove the glovebox, you remove all of the cross head screws holding it in. There about 6 or 8 dotted all around the opening.

(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 14-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thank you for the answer.

I fitted the CD Emulator yesterday.

I will leave a brief explanation in case someone is searching for this.

You can easily fit the cd emulator box/module in the glovebox of the GT without drilling holes or doing any other invasive procedures.

First, I got an emulator by a company called Microlink. It was the cheapest one available and pretty small as well. It looks like something made in a garage, but gets the job done. No 3.5 cable included, as is the case with other manufacturers. Also, supports up to a 32GB USB drive, where the Yatour supports up to 16GB.

Having so many tracks without the ability to seek through a song or being able to see the name is inconvenient, but sure beats burning CDs and having pauses every time you go over uneven road or you hit a pothole.

Installation is easy and takes 30 minutes if you know what you are doing. Took me 2 hours to figure this out, so I hope I save someone a movie's length worth.

Disconnecting the battery/power was recommended but I didn't do it because I don't have a code for the radio and was worried that finding one will be a hassle. Since the whole operation consists of disconnecting a connector and connecting it back, I think that you can go without disconnecting the battery.

My headunit is a 2DIN Nav+. I am not sure if the connection procedure is the same for the Blaupunkt 1DIN Headunit, but the part with the glovebox will be the same.

First you will need some special tools. One of them is the thing you need to put into the holes of the Headunit in order to take it out. You can improvise with household items on this one. It just needs to be not-bendy and small enough to fit in the hole. There are kits on ebay for $5 that include everything necessary. You will also need a plastic tool (included in the aforementioned kits) to take out the headunit once it has been released by the hooks holding it, without damaging the headunit itself or the car's dash.

Once the headunit is removed, on the back, you will see an ISO connector identical to the one at the end of the CD Changer emulator box. Remove the placeholder connector (if you don't currently have a CD Changer connected. If you do, it will be an identical cable and not a placeholder) and replace it with the one for the CD changer emulator. Plug it back into the back of the headunit. At that point, test if the CD Changer Emulator is working as it is supposed to by turning the headunit on and changing the SRC to the CD Changer (CDC). Make sure you have formatted your flash drive correctly. For ALFA ROMEO, the drive should be formatted in FAT 32 file system and the folders in it should be named CD01, CD02 ... CD10. If the folders are not correct, my particular CDC Emulator did not play anything. It did create the correct folders though, but they were empty.
If the CDC Emulator is working, you can proceed to installing the box in the glovebox. Disconnect the CDC Emulator from the head unit, since I did not find a convenient way to have both the CDC Emulator connected and the headunit hanging from the dashboard. If you can - good. You will save yourself the inconvenient procedure of disconnecting and connecting the ISO connector twice.

In order to put the CDC Emulator in the glovebox, the easiest thing to do is remove the glovebox itself. It is not as scary as it sounds. In order to remove it, you will have to unscrew 7 screws. You will see the first 3 as soon as you open the glovebox. They are on top. The 4th one is different than the first 3 and is in the back of the glovebox, but leave it for last. The other 3 are on the lower side. You will have to dislodge the glovebox door in order to get easier access to all. Just close the glovebox lid a little and dislodge the plastic elements holding it open. Once the door drops freely, you will see the screws. Once you are done with those, you can remove the big one at the back of the glovebox compartment. After that, simply pull the glovebox gently and it will come off. Mind the cable for the light. You will need a little assistance here if you don't want to disconnect the wires.

With the glovebox and the headunit removed, you will easily see the place where to feed the cable so just put it through the hole. Now start re-fitting the glovebox and navigate the cable to the lower left corner on the glovebox side so it goes through the joints for the door. It's very easy. Once you have fixed the cable's position and it is not in the way of the glovebox door opening/closing, you need to simply re-fit the glovebox and the head unit.

That's it. Job well done.
Absolutely no visible wires. Clean work.

You can now enjoy skip-free MP3 entertainment from your BOSE system.

Hope this guide helps someone.
tejay and GtvBrera like this.

Last edited by w00x; 14-06-15 at 21:45.

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
Garage

Member car:

GT JTS

Very helpful.

Thanks, W00X!
Spacecadet

Interestingly I'm in the process of fitted a Sony CD changer to my car because the iPod system I have is doing my nut. It takes an age to flick through the tracks in a playlist and often often crashes. May well be the first gen iPod touch that runs it, but the CD changer bundle was only £35 new.

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

alfa gt,

Thanks for the description which is quite clear. I just did this job recently using a Yatour YT-M06 Digital Music Changer and drilled holes in the glovebox as I didn't spot how to get the cable in otherwise. Well done there! I also installed the Yatour YT-BTM Bluetooth module so I can take calls while driving.

My car has the Connect Nav+ with CDC changer so unfortunately the CDC is now disconnected. Ideally I would like to have both options. In the Yatour installation instructions they mention an optional CDC switch for some cars but I can't find anything about this option for Alfa GTs. If anyone knows a solution to this then I am interested!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00x View Post
Thank you for the answer.

I fitted the CD Emulator yesterday.

I will leave a brief explanation in case someone is searching for this.

You can easily fit the cd emulator box/module in the glovebox of the GT without drilling holes or doing any other invasive procedures.

First, I got an emulator by a company called Microlink. It was the cheapest one available and pretty small as well. It looks like something made in a garage, but gets the job done. No 3.5 cable included, as is the case with other manufacturers. Also, supports up to a 32GB USB drive, where the Yatour supports up to 16GB.

Having so many tracks without the ability to seek through a song or being able to see the name is inconvenient, but sure beats burning CDs and having pauses every time you go over uneven road or you hit a pothole.

Installation is easy and takes 30 minutes if you know what you are doing. Took me 2 hours to figure this out, so I hope I save someone a movie's length worth.

Disconnecting the battery/power was recommended but I didn't do it because I don't have a code for the radio and was worried that finding one will be a hassle. Since the whole operation consists of disconnecting a connector and connecting it back, I think that you can go without disconnecting the battery.

My headunit is a 2DIN Nav+. I am not sure if the connection procedure is the same for the Blaupunkt 1DIN Headunit, but the part with the glovebox will be the same.

First you will need some special tools. One of them is the thing you need to put into the holes of the Headunit in order to take it out. You can improvise with household items on this one. It just needs to be not-bendy and small enough to fit in the hole. There are kits on ebay for $5 that include everything necessary. You will also need a plastic tool (included in the aforementioned kits) to take out the headunit once it has been released by the hooks holding it, without damaging the headunit itself or the car's dash.

Once the headunit is removed, on the back, you will see an ISO connector identical to the one at the end of the CD Changer emulator box. Remove the placeholder connector (if you don't currently have a CD Changer connected. If you do, it will be an identical cable and not a placeholder) and replace it with the one for the CD changer emulator. Plug it back into the back of the headunit. At that point, test if the CD Changer Emulator is working as it is supposed to by turning the headunit on and changing the SRC to the CD Changer (CDC). Make sure you have formatted your flash drive correctly. For ALFA ROMEO, the drive should be formatted in FAT 32 file system and the folders in it should be named CD01, CD02 ... CD10. If the folders are not correct, my particular CDC Emulator did not play anything. It did create the correct folders though, but they were empty.
If the CDC Emulator is working, you can proceed to installing the box in the glovebox. Disconnect the CDC Emulator from the head unit, since I did not find a convenient way to have both the CDC Emulator connected and the headunit hanging from the dashboard. If you can - good. You will save yourself the inconvenient procedure of disconnecting and connecting the ISO connector twice.

In order to put the CDC Emulator in the glovebox, the easiest thing to do is remove the glovebox itself. It is not as scary as it sounds. In order to remove it, you will have to unscrew 7 screws. You will see the first 3 as soon as you open the glovebox. They are on top. The 4th one is different than the first 3 and is in the back of the glovebox, but leave it for last. The other 3 are on the lower side. You will have to dislodge the glovebox door in order to get easier access to all. Just close the glovebox lid a little and dislodge the plastic elements holding it open. Once the door drops freely, you will see the screws. Once you are done with those, you can remove the big one at the back of the glovebox compartment. After that, simply pull the glovebox gently and it will come off. Mind the cable for the light. You will need a little assistance here if you don't want to disconnect the wires.

With the glovebox and the headunit removed, you will easily see the place where to feed the cable so just put it through the hole. Now start re-fitting the glovebox and navigate the cable to the lower left corner on the glovebox side so it goes through the joints for the door. It's very easy. Once you have fixed the cable's position and it is not in the way of the glovebox door opening/closing, you need to simply re-fit the glovebox and the head unit.

That's it. Job well done.
Absolutely no visible wires. Clean work.

You can now enjoy skip-free MP3 entertainment from your BOSE system.

Hope this guide helps someone.
Could you please post a link here for where you purchased your tools to remove themed unit and glove compartment
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 28-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejay View Post
Could you please post a link here for where you purchased your tools to remove themed unit and glove compartment
I am sorry for the almost 1 year old reply, but I just saw this. You must have figured it out by now, but just in case...

The tools I got from a friend, who ordered them in order to do the same procedure on his Fiat Stillo. Turns out, the tools worked for my GT but not for his Stillo.

The kit looks like this:

Car stereo removal tools-in Plastic & Rubber Care from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Just google "Car stereo removal tools" and it will pop up. Basically it consists of several plastic tools to work around the head unit without damage and a couple of metal ones to work with different attachment mechanisms.
AO Member

Thanks, I'll do so.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alfa , changer , emulator , glovebox , installation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page