Front suspension rattle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 12-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS Veloce

Front suspension rattle

I have a twist on the 156 suspension rattle that I haven't seen posted yet.

I have a rattle (more like a lightweight tinkle) going over bumps and I've followed all the posts about brakepads, drop-links, anti-roll bar and wishbones causing it. So I duly followed the good advice, but none of the suggestions worked.

Finally, I have today tracked the source - the shock absorbers!

I don't know how it happened, but presumably after going over a deep pot-hole or something similar, the suspension must've bottomed out hard. Underneath the protective rubber boot that can be seen through the spring, there appears to be an unpainted metal cap. I don't know if this fits over the bottom part of the strut, but the cap appears to have sheered from its sides and is floating freely, rattling away at any opportunity. I guess I'm gonna have to remove a strut to find out more.

Hope this helps somebody avoid spending money on the wrong thing and any advice on making the strut removal as easy as possible would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Re: Front suspension rattle

Thanks for the info. I've got a front suspension rattle as well, but mine's the traditional top bush. Getting the strut off looks fairly straightforward in the repair procedures, as long as you've got a decent ball joint splitter and penetrating oil. Getting the spring off the strut looks more difficult. The repair procedures show a special jig to compress the spring. I don't know if spring compressors, like the type used on Fords with MacPherson struts would do the job.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

The biggest issue will be the lower fork clamp bolt. The nut is a hex unit and most likely to be impossible to turn. You want to soak everything with lots of penetrating oil for as long as possible, as well as buying two replacement bolts and nuts, as the chances are you will have to cut/drill these out. Try not to damage the fork as they aren't cheap! On two of the upper nuts hold the strut is place. The other two hold the upper wishbone mounting and probably don't need to be touched.

Once the fork is off and the two mounting nuts, it should drop out. Then you need a good set of spring compressors.

Have you tried a search or two? I'm sure others on here have more advice, etc.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Last edited by gazza82; 13-08-07 at 07:07.
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I never split the ball joint when I removed my front struts and also no problem with the fork bolt. Biggest problem was to get the damper out of the fork and then afterwards back in.

You need long spring compressors for the front springs as they take forever to compress especially if you are changing the springs.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 12-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS Veloce

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I'll have to set aside a day to do this soon. Will probably replace the upper wishbones at the same time as I think the near side is showing signs of going (making noises).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

front , rattle , suspension