Air induction advice needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 12-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Air induction advice needed

I have had a fault now for a couple of months, the car has been to 2 different garages and they have both not managed to clear it. I am hoping that if I do my best to describe the fault to you guys I might get some good advice on what action to take next.
So here goes.......
When putting my foot down on a clear motorway and the revs go above 3000 sometimes the red engine management light comes on and the revs are restricted to 3000. This only happens in 4th or 5th gears, if I go down to 3rd gear I can rev as high as I like.

The first garage I visited cleared a list of fault codes and waited for the 1st new fault to register, this was EGR. They cleaned the EGR and reset the fault. The fault re-occurred so they changed the EGR.
The next fault to register was MAP so the changed the manifold sensor. The next fault to register was the MAF and they changed that too.
At this point I went to a Fiat main dealer, the other garage was a private diagnostic company. The Fiat garage changed the Turbo boost valve but just prior to that I had removed the air filter as a test to see if the car was getting enough air. After the boost valve was changed the car performance was very good but the garage did not replace the air filter and I was running without one for a week.
As soon as I put a new air filter in (supplied by the Fiat garage) the fault came back. The car went back to the Fiat garage and they put a different, thinner filter, in and the performance returned to excellent.
That was 2 weeks ago, now the fault has come back, just when I was attempting to show a Mercedes driver that the 2.4JTD is no pushover.
Now I do not know what to do?
If I go to an Alfa Dealer, will thier diagnostic equipment be any better?
The Fiat dealer had ex Alfa mechanics taken on when the local Alfa dealer went bankrupt. The next Alfa dealer is a fair few miles away and arkward to get to
I hope this jogs some ones memory and I get some 'Sound' advice.

Here's hoping
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Re: Air induction advice needed

Could be the right path to tread, if they are reputable for good service? Trained technician, with the appropriate Alfa diagnostic equipment. Worth a try?:
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Re: Air induction advice needed

As Zulu says, find a garage with a good reputation, as many don't know what they're doing at don't mind taking your money while they experiment on your car. It doesn't have to be an Alfa dealer, some of the best garages are independents, but I don't know your neck of the woods.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , air , induction , needed