The Joy of Selespeed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

The Joy of Selespeed

So, I'm a week in with my '99 TS Selespeed. Been loving it and thinking 'what's all the Selespeed fuss about?' and then tonight it began to play with me.

On the drive across town to meet mates I had trouble with the gear change. Whether in city or manual the gear would change but the clutch wouldn't disengage so I'd get a huge grrrrrrr of revs unless I left my foot off the accelerator for a good three seconds or so.

I thought that was pretty terminal. But - in the mantra of computers - I turned it off and on again (eg, I left it for an hour while I was eating with my pals) and upon the restart the gearchange was fine.

On the way home it was relatively ok except that it changed from send to neutral for no reason as I was driving along (I was at a steady pace, definitely not slowing down) so I had to pull over and get it into first.

The other thing of note was that the number of the selected gear, on the dash, kept flashing. Not to any detriment, it just did.

Any thoughts?

As I'm after help there are a couple of other things...

There is a knocking noise from behind me and to the left (it's a RHD car) which I've been assuming is a loose exhaust, but the noise is definitely more apparent during a gear change.

Finally, the passenger seat squeeks like buggery where the leather meets the centre console. It was like that on two other 156s I tested, so I'm willing to live with it, unless any of you guys have a red hot tip on how to sort it out.

Sorry for the long post... but thanks so much for wading through.

All the best,

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: The Joy of Selespeed

The knocking noise could easily be the joint to the backbox worked loose. The pipe knocks on the rear subframe when that happens. Could also be an exhaust rubber failed, with the same result.

Re the Selespeed.
First thing is to get the clutch pushrod adjusted and the system calibrated by a trusted Alfa garage (they need the Alfa/Fiat Examiner system to do it).

Also very important to keep a close eye on all the fluid levels, including the Selespeed fluid. It only holds 0.6L in the whole system, so a small loss becomes a problem quite quickly.

It is important to use a garage you can trust because far too many just replace the actuator, no matter what the problem is (that part is over £1000, so you don't want to replace that if there is nothing wrong with it).

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 10-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Re: The Joy of Selespeed

Wow - that's a good tip. I've just blown all my cash on the car (quickfact: a 99 156 in Malaysia costs £6k... now that's staggering) so a new actuator would definitely kill me off!

I'm booked in at a leather place tomorrow to get a couple of scuffs on the seats fixed. So if anyone else out there knows a lube or something that stops the squeaking then letting me know in the next 8 hours or so would be a massive help.

Next stop after that will be the local Alfa garage for a new (to me) car once over. Your advice will be a great help. Thanks David.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

joy , selespeed