What is the Alfa Q system? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 08-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
What is the Alfa Q system?

Can anyone in simple terms what the above is

How it works and how much does a 156 Q differ to the usual V6

Cheers Guys
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Re: What is the Alfa Q system?

Off the Alfa website:

"Alfa Romeo is pleased to announce the launch of the new ‘Q-Tronic’ 6 speed automatic gearboxes.

The ‘Q-Tronic automatic 6 speed transmission is available on 150 and 200 bhp diesel engines, allowing the car to be driven in automatic mode with all the functions typical of an automatic transmission (parking, reverse, neutral and drive) or in sequential mode by simply moving the selector.

The ‘Q-Tronic’ name continues the Alfa Romeo tradition of using the letter ‘Q‘ to indicate the most sophisticated technology developed by the Company: from the famous Quadrifoglio to the ‘Q4’ of the permanent four wheel drive to the very recent ‘Q2’ for the front wheel drive. The term Tronic, on the other hand, tells us that the system is controlled by a smart electronic control unit that governs optimum gear shifts.

How it works: Automatic transmission in itself ensures more effective use of engine performance and greater comfort, particularly around town. The Q-Tronic backs these advantages with very comfortable gear shifts, i.e. a reduction in the number of pulses felt by the driver. The innovative system also allows those who do not wish to renounce the pleasure of a sporty drive to use the system in sequential manner in the same way as a gearbox with fixed ratios controlled in sequence: when the gearbox is pushed up (‘+’ sign), the gearbox shifts to the next gear up while when it is pushed down (‘-’ sign), the gearbox shifts down a gear. In this mode too, the system ensures the driver is able to maintain a sporty drive because, unlike sequential gearboxes offered by rival cars, the Q-Tronic does not force gear shifts at high speeds and the change may be made when the driver wishes.

As an exclusive feature on the 200 bhp 2.4 JTDm, the Q-Tronic also offers a Sport – Winter function that allows the driver to choose between two operating modes (Sport and Winter) in addition to the default setting. In detail, the Comfort mode active when the car is started with the lever in position D facilitates smooth gear shifts and balanced management of fuel consumption because gears are engaged at relatively low rpms. When the key beside the lever is pressed, the system changes to Sport mode. This lays the stress on performance and ensures a lively, entertaining drive because the gear shifts are set at higher engine speeds for a more sporty performance. When the same button is held down for longer, the system switches to Winter mode. This ensures maximum grip when the road surface is particularly hazardous, for example when the roads are snow-covered.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 08-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just found that out after you posted

Seems that some of the mags have a pretty low oppinion of this fitment

Any previous experiences would be helpfull

I have bought a 156 V6 SW Q system (jees what a mouthfull!)in silver,looks the biz
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

The Q-system of the 156 doesn't have 6 gears, but only 4. And I can imagine car mags find that at least one gear short.

The best review can be given by AO Member Pascs, because he owns a 156 V6 with the Q-system. If he misses this thread, you can always send him a Private Message of course.

I have one too and I love it, if you drive it as an auto (in 'city' mode) you very rarely get to go past 3000 revs so you don't really get to hear the engine howl as you do with a manual.

If you select 'sports' mode it's still fully automatic but the gears are held for much longer and progress is pretty rapid and the engine sounds wicked (can I still use that word in this context?,I'm 49).

'ice' mode just avoids using 1st gear for slippery conditions so is not used much in the UK.

Or you can slip the lever from 'd' onto the manual gate and drive it just like a clutchless manual, it's very good at legal speeds but probably not as good over a hundred or so mph.

It's also not as economical (an alfa?) as the 6 speed manual either, my average is about 23mpg in normal driving and maybe 35mpg on legal speed motorway work but as the fuel gauge won't work properly anyway it doesn't really matter.

Bottom line is my wife wanted to be able to drive it (auto), I wanted black,v6,red leather and no spoilers.I didn't really fancy a gta either,apart from the seats.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , system