147 battery - Should / can I change it myself? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
147 battery - Should / can I change it myself?

I got myself a lovely new battery, but when I looked at the one fitted it seems to have an ancillary box mounted to the top. I also have Selespeed and Connect, and am a little concerned that I may send the entire car into some kind of cataclysmic electrical armageddon if I do a straight swap.

Is there any laid down procedure that is the RIGHT way, or can I just get on with it without worrying?
Sponsored Links
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Premio
County: Bratislavsky
Re: 147 battery - Should / can I change it myself?

It is very easy. Disconnect negative pole first (the one close to the front of the car). Undo the cover on the distributor box that sits on the + pole. There are two small screws holding the box to the battery, unscrew them. Than loosen the + pole and take the cable off the battery. The distributor box is attached to the cable as well; you will remove both at the same time. Release the bolt holding the strap around the battery. You will need an extension for your key to get to it. Remove the strap. You can take the battery out now. Install new one in reverse order.

Important thing is that the negative pole is the first thing to disconnect and the last thing to connect. The rest is simple.

147GTA,Grigio Metallico,Imola leather, 3.75l conversion,F360 TB,ported heads,Balduzzi cams,GTV manifolds,EQ pipes,Supersprint silenced cat back,18" GT multispokes,KW V3,Galfer 6pot 355mm,Brembo sport rear, Blaupunk NewYork 800 + Focal

147 1.6TS, Nerro,Beige Interior,Galfer Extreme Brake kit,2,0TS intake manifold,Custom ex. manifold,200CPI cat,Supersprint silenced center + OO backbox,GTA spoiler,GTA side skirts,GTA headlights,Blaupunkt LA MP74 + Focal + MacAudio + Dynamat + HERZ subwoofer
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

some things will reset, but should not pose a hassle.

*ECU/ignition advance-timing: you may find the car feels a bit sluggish after the ECU has reset, but it will automatically readjust to the fuel you use, etc, which might take 20~100km (12~60miles)
*radio/connect: i'm unsure if you'll lose any settings; probably not, but be prepared; worth writing down any settings that you think are important if lost
*selespeed: should be no issues at all

AO Silver Member
County: Durham

you may need to enter your stereo code
County: Surrey

Member car:

Thumbs Up Re: 147 battery - Should / can I change it myself?

Registered only 5 mins ago just to say thanks! I'm a 22 year old girl and managed to disconnect and charge the battery on my GT UNASSISTED- all thanks to this thread!! Who needs a mechanic eh?!
AO Member

Member car:

22 year old girl with a GT? Good taste and income too probably!
Decided to change my battery after reading this. Straight-forward, only slightly awkward bit was getting to the bolt to loosen/tighten the restraining strap. I combined this job with an ECU reset whilst I was at it (from the kind people at http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showt...ferrerid=57718 (ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!!)). No problems with alarm or radio codes.

A muppet like me couldn't afford the alfa repair bills without you knowledgeable lot sharing your pearls. Cheers.
AO Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

147 JTDm

Another tip (this time for the oil burners amongst us): If you get the replacement Halfords battery, you'll need to fit it with the handles 'up' otherwise the clamp doesn't fit.
Back to the original question - re: connect - I have Connect Nav (not Nav+ - ie. I have the monochrome display) and battery changes have not given me any trouble at all.
County: Greater London
Hi guys, just dropping to say a HUUUGE thanks for the treads about replacing battery, took it off, bought new Bosch one, fits perfectly, put it on and car worked straight way... All by myself,, after reading the tread. Not bad for a Brazilian girl...Very happy bunny. many thanks again
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
thanks you Elo and AlfaGTchick for highlighting your fine abilities, I will use this thread to help persuade mrs purple to put some petrol in her car.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , battery , change