this was another little project i completed.
recently, i discovered that the orange filter inside the front repeaters had come loose. i believe this is a common problem, not only in the GT; they can be replaced under warranty. but it was the impetus for me to modify them to a completely 'clear' look.
this involved sourcing some orange-tinted globes what would fit. then cracking open (literally!) the original housings to remove the orange filter, and fitting the new globes.
it was a success, and quite easy. and i think the results are great; the clear lenses integrate much better with the main headlights.
NOTE: this modification may not comply with your local roadtraffic authority; you should check before embarking on this project; I am not aware of any such restriction in Victoria, Australia, where I live, so have taken the chance; many newer cars feature clear lenses and orange globes
NOTE: LED-style globes are not suitable because of their low 'wattage'; this means they draw very little power, and the onboard electronics will falsely indicate a 'bulb failure' message
the following is a step-by-step guide and photo essay to help you out.
you will need:
*various flatblade screwdrivers: medium (5-6mm wide) and small (4mm wide) should suffice
*utility knife (not essential)
*file: suitable for filing soft metal (to modify globes if necessary)
*superglue or similar
*clear silicone or similar: suitable to bond plastic or glass
*new orange-tinted H21W (21 watt) globes: 9mm bayonet base; BAY9S fitment is the original, but variations can be made to fit (eg: BA9S); only the pin locations vary; i bought orange BA9S globes off ebay
*photo 1: these are the original front side repeaters on my car with their orange filters inside the housings
-the housings can be removed as normal using a medium flatblade screwdriver, which is described in your Owner Manual; it is a little fiddly, because the retaining tabs (especially on the bottom) catch on the plastic grill; it is also fairly easy to mark/indent the grill with your screwdriver, so take care and perhaps use a rag/cloth sandwiched between the screwdriver and grill that you are levering on; uncouple the globe base/wiring from the housing (twist-release)
*photo 2: the original R side repeater housing, removed from the car
*photo 3: this is the risky step! the clear lens is glued to the main black housing; using a small (4mm) flatblade screwdriver, gently 'crack' the join around the edge, squeezing and levering the screwdriver into the gap; BE CAREFUL not to use too much force because the lens plastic is brittle; I created a small crack on the front of mine (live and learn); the edges which you crack open will end up quite rough, but this is no consequence; you can use a utility knife to clean the edges slightly but no need to be too aggressive because you want the 2 edges to rejoin snuggly
*photo 4: with the clear lens removed, you can then remove the internal orange filter that is clipped into place; mine were already loose and rattling inside; the fitment is quite sloppy, so it is no surprise that they commonly uncouple; clean away any debris inside the housing
*photo 5: this is the clear lens test-fitted back into place, without the orange filter; much better looking!
this is the result you are after; a reflective silver liner is fitted to the back of the housing
*photo 6: now resecure the clear lens after discarding the orange filter; i would suggest a combination of superglue and silicone: first, apply some superglue sparingly, say only to either end of the housing rather than the entire circumference (excessive glue and its vapour may discolour the inside of the lens; how do i know?!); the superglue can serve the purpose of temporarily holding the lens in place; next, use clear silicone or similar to apply an external seal and bond around the entire circumference of the join; use your finger to squish the silicone into any gaps and smooth it over (if using an acid-based silicone, you can dip your finger in vinegar or similar, to facilitate smoothing off the silicone; or use wax&grease remover; note that these will irritate the skin on some people); my results are fairly rough, but the sides of the housing are hidden from view once refitted to the car; clean up any excessive silicone as necessary (eg: if any smeared across front of lens), so have suitable cleaner onhand, if only to clean your hands, because it can be a bit messy!
*photo 7: here are my new globes; the original H21W BAY9S globe is on the left; the new orange-tinted globes are a BA9S fitment, meaning the pins are orientated slightly differently; the middle globe is an experiment: i have sprayed one half of the glass with silver paint to further mask its presence inside the housing; it is unnecessary, and i found that it 'smoked' (literally!) as the globe heats up, so probably best avoided!
*photo 8: end-on, you can compare the 3 globes; on the L is the original BAY9S bayonet fitment, with pins at 12 and 4 o'clock; on the R is the new BA9S orange globe, with pins at 12 and 6 o'clock; in the middle i have simply filed away one pin, allowing fitment into the car's holder