Re: DIY PROJECT/STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE: modifying GT front repeaters to 'clear'
Ok, having completed this task today I'd like to share my findings, I think I can perhaps simplify it slightly.
1. Remove the indicators from the bumber, the easiest way is to put a flat head screwdriver in the top gap, release the two top lugs then jiggle it about and hey presto out it pops.
2. As instructed by shinycar, with a small screwdriver, patiently break the seal around the clear plastic cover, just keep clicking it all the way round until the cover pops off.
3. Remove the orange filter inside the indicator housings.
4. Bulbs, I went to several motor factors and researched online, you cannot source these in orange anywhere. You can find them but at a lower wattage for motorcycles, they aren't bright enough. So here is my solution, the motor factors sell amber headlamp paint in a small bottle like nail varnish (£1.99). This is for headlights if you intend to travel to the continent where yellow headlamps are prefered. Anyway, paint the bulbs, I put on 5 coats, waiting for the paint to dry between coats, the bulb is now orange and this paint is resistant to heat, so no smoking or fading.
5. Glue the clear lenses back onto the housing, I used Carplan Silicone Power Bond (£2.99). Wait for this to cure. Then use black insulation tape and tightly wrap the tape around the silicone on the seal all the way round the lens, I did three rounds, this makes for a neater looking job and it also makes the indicator housings fit more securely into the bumper.
6. Replace the bulb, attach the cable, push the indicator housing into the bumper, job done, happy Alfa owner!
Hope this helps............................................. ..............