replacing connector from wiring loom to rear light cluster - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 26-05-15 Thread Starter
County: -
replacing connector from wiring loom to rear light cluster

Hi All,

First time poster here. Have been reading the forum a lot over the last 6 weeks since buying my first Alfa, a 2004 147 JTD Lusso. My passenger side rear light cluster is not working at all. Having read previous post I thought it might be to do with a bad earth, however, having looked at the connector that goes from the wiring loom to the light cluster, one of the terminals is burnt. Is it possible to replace this part your self? Do you think this is the cause of the light problem or a symptom of another problem?
Appreciate any help or advice.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Yes that will be the problem but make sure you have also checked all fuses and the bulbs as bad connections can, strangely, cause them to blow.

The bad connector is almost certainly the earth as that is the one that takes all the current in the return path. Replacing won't be easy and will be a case of finding a good connector on a scrap car, cutting that off and then soldering to yours.

My wife's 159 had an almost identical problem and I had an old fashioned compass (the type you put a pencil in and draw a circle) and used the sharp pointy bit of that to scrape the surface clean and then bend the connector closer together. To bend it closer I pushed the point into the connector from behind.

Note: most modern compass have a very short stubby point and won't do the job. Apparently kids in schools kept stabbing each other with the old style ones.

An alternative to my fix is another that I have used and that is trace the connection on the light cluster that this burnt connector relates to and run a separate earth wire to that connector.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 26-05-15 Thread Starter
County: -
Thank you for your help. Not sure I have an old compass anymore but will see if I have anything similar around. All bulbs work, I checked them in the working unit, although did not check the fuse.

If I had to run a new earth, how would I go about that? I happy enough earthing the wire to the chassis but not how / where I connect it to the light?

Thanks again. Liam

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cluster , connector , light , loom , rear , replacing , wiring