I replaced my blown sidelight bulbs to CANBUS compatible LEDs this weekend by taking the bumper off. It's a simple job, you just need the right tools and a bit of patience.
Like others have commented in this thread, I took both front wheels off & put the car on axle stands which made it easy to get the arch liner bent out of the way behind the brake disk.
I don't know if others found the same but the mounts behind the wings (photo 6) are different on mine to how Shiny Car explains them, as mine were both captive which made things easier.
A previous owner (or possibly even garage) has attempted to do the job in the wrong way on my car in the past and has ended up breaking a corner of one of the rear covers which was allowing water to get into the light unit. Water ingress like this will cause the ballast pack under the headlight to get wet and it will blow. I used some sticky backed rubber sealing tape and a special flexible waterproof tape (it helps when you work for a firm that does coachbuilding) to build the broken cover back to how it should be and hopefully seal it from the elements.
As well as the cover being broken, some of the threaded inserts in the light units were just spinning because the screws had seized into them. I removed any that were bust, drilled out the remaining holes and inserted a push fit plastic christmas tree fastener. I then used self tappers in these to put the back cover on. Ideally I would have replaced the old threaded inserts with new ones of a larger size or araldited them in, but I didn't have any small inserts, or araldite.
To dry the unit I need to get a few bags of silica crystals (have to buy a Blu Ray player maybe
) and pop them in via the twist-off foglight cover as that's easily accessible.
Here's an obligatory 'taking the car apart on a Saturday morning' picture...