Alfa 147, knocking noise, abs/vdc etc. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 24-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: East Sussex
Help Alfa 147, knocking noise, abs/vdc etc.

I have owned an Alfa 147 TS for about 4 months now but never really driven it, put it up for sale because I have an ever so reliable Ford Fiesta. I am part off the Auto-mechanic community, still a student though. Interesting it seems to me that I have never heard any good comment about the Alfa Romeos which is why I put the car up for sale without driving it. But all the negative comments are from the lots who has never driven one. Actually, I took the car free off my Boss at a Garage where I help out sometimes to gain some experience. I have been coming to the forum for a while now to hear what the owners are saying about various issues. I must say I have never driven and thrown any car with that much weight around a bend like that before. Supposed the reasons for the niggling suspension problems.
Now that I have gotten rid of the Fiesta, I revert to the Alfa which I found not so bad after all. I have done some welding on the under carriage and some other works to get it thru MOT. I have read a bit ABS/VDC warning issues and have somehow gotten rid of that but I now hear this alarm-ish sound when I break hard, not sure what it is. This is an audible electrical sound. I also want to know if it is normal for the car to roll backwards whilst waiting uphill when the TS is in City Mode? How can I best maintain my Selespeed Transmission? I will also like some more flood lighting on the Samba knocks coming from my N/S/F suspension. I mean, the noise is horrible: Thanks to you all
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands

Not sire of point no one, is the ASR light coming on at the same time as the bleep?

The car will roll backwards in city mode if no throttle is applied as it is effectively in neutral. It does not have an electric handbrake so you need to use the handbrake for hill starts as if its a manual car.

The rattle will mosty likely be anti roll bar links (easy) the anti roll bar bushes (hard) or the suspension arm ball joint (moderate).

The selespeed system needs little maintenance, keep topped up with the correct grade oil (its not gear oil but a type of ATFIII) have AlfaDiag or MultiECUscan to calibrate the clutch once a year and keep the connectors clean, especially the big multiplug by the battery.

AO Member
County: Kent
Regarding the negativity you've heard-
I still get people ask me 'why I drive an unreliable car?' It's total nonsense.
Alfas are no more unreliable than any other make. In fact, I can think of a few examples where they are better designed than the German marques.

The key is maintenance. They simply will not tolerate neglect like some other cars. If you keep on top of the niggles, you will be rewarded with a great ownership experience, at literally half the price of a similar Audi or VW.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 26-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks for the encouragement James_Bond. Am loving the drive at the moment.
Thanks Purple145. The beep comes on when am hard breaking but no warning lights. I haven't seen the ABS/VDU warnings lights for a while even though I recently replaced a rear wheel bearing which I made a mock of. I can still hear the bearing noise though, mostly when am coming to a halt. I was wondering if I Should have changed both rear wheels bearing instead of one. I understand that if directional tire wears on the inside edge, it could fake a worn bearing sound, how true?
I will keep you posted for progress on the suspension bits. Do I realy need to drop subframe for the anti roll bar tho?
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Unusual for bearings to make a noise when stopping are you certain it isn't rear pads?

Yes directional tyres can sound exactly like bearings. I always thought that was untrue after thirty years and now over 700,000 miles driving and never hearing it. However, about 6 months ago I had this problem and it was completely cured when the tyres were changed.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 31-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
I can't say for certain where or which is the grinding noise which is as very audible when I slow down without braking. So, I dont think it's sticking pads. Perhaps the noise is still there when I go over 10-15mph but drowned buy the lovely engine sound, not sure. I believe it's more from the n/s/r where I changed the bearing recently. It just struck me "could it be that I have a warped disk"?
I found there is tangible play in the nsf upper arm when inspecting. Would it be ok to change just that? Thanks.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , abs or vdc , alfa , knocking , noise