Diagnostic options - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 20-05-15 Thread Starter
County: UK

Member car:

156 JTd 2.4

Diagnostic options

Hi all,

I have read, read, and read some more but still unsure as to what I can expect to be able to read/do, and also a query about the connection method.

Car is a 2001 156 JTD 2.4, from what I can gather, I am going to be somewhat limited as to what I will be able to do (both diagnose, and play!). Previous car - not an Alfa, had software that allowed you to do pretty much anything - how long the lights stayed on after the doors were locked, if the window went all the way up or down if you held the button for 2 seconds, etc)
I still have the cable, its a standard VAG cable that plugs into the 16 pin plug near the fusebox, I am unable to find any 3 pin plugs that I often hear about.
I modded the cable connections as per Multiecuscans diagrams, downloaded the free version and was able to connect to the ECU and examine air flow, temperature, rpm etc. I then added a switch to swap over the pins so I could reset the airbag light. I figured Id be better off buying a new device rather than adding more switches or keep on resoldering pin connections.
From what I can gather, there are 2 main options, one similar to the way I did it, but with either a modified (KKL VAG?) device that may have a switch, or a bunch of coloured cables.
The other option, and I cant seem to figure out if I still need the various adaptor cables with this, is the modified ELM 327 OBD2 option.
I think the second option seems the way to go (no idea why, I've read that much my mind is going blank!), but what concerns me a little is in the title "OBD2", and "CAN". Im not sure if my car will connect ocer the CAN bus, I hope it can because if so I should in theory be able to interpret the serial data and be able to display "stuff" lol on an LCD.
In addition to the ELM 327, if I go down that route, I would also like to get one of the Bluetooth/wireless ones too - just to make like easier once I get the hang of it as my lappy is getting on a bit and needs plugging in after 1/2 an hour or so.

Hope that makes sense, all advice welcome !
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
156 isn't CAN (147/GT is!), and is a pre-EOBD system, so you are probably limited to KKL interface and MultiEcuScan.

There weren't any OBD2 156's (US spec) and EOBD didn't appear on diesels until 2004 ...

You need adaptors to read ABS, airbag system, etc but not engine ECU.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

diagnostic , options