oil in intercooler pipe? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
oil in intercooler pipe?

Just changed the air filter in my 1.9 jtd. Terrible design and regular changes must surely lead to premature failure of the aiirbox or pipework. Had to remove the pipe to the intercooler and found that it was completely dry! I had changed this pipe 18 months ago (18000 mles) and found a lot of oil in it and about a cup full of oil in the intercooler. I did clean out the oil segragator on the back of the engine at that time and had the egr blocked off. I'm certainly not complaining but am puzzled as to why the situation has changed particularly as it is widely accepted that a bit of oil here is not unusual. Anyone got any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Oil in there comes from the crankcase ventilation system, so perhaps you have a blockage, which would usually be accompanied by a lot of smoke, especially at idle, or a leak somewhere which means the vapours are going into the atmosphere, and I would guess you would see traces somewhere in your engine bay.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 21-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
No all appears good. I did have a badly fitted pipe to the oil segregator on the back of the engine 18 mths ago and sorted that (along with a clean of the canister)- I was getting vapours in engine bay and associated smell in car. As said above, I'm not complaining but would have expected some signs of oil here as you say due to crankcase ventilation system. Will give the pipework a check and look for blockages when I get a chance.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

intercooler , oil , pipe