is it the variator - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 30-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0ts

is it the variator

i know this is a much covered subject but my just bought 156 2.0 ts seems to 'diesel' all the time.
A. is it going to go bang it the variator being very worn out (belts were changed 10 thou ago)
C. should i not drive it till its fixed. it runs fine and goes like a rocket tho previous car was a primera 1.6 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
got the 156 for next to nothing so dont mind spending some money.
i know they have a bad rep and have as you can guess from my tag a bike which has always given me my thrills but a test drive of this proved to me that not all cars are tin boxes.
please help
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

GT Q2 & 156 SP2

Re: is it the variator

More than likely the belts where changed and the original variator was left in place.

My old 1.8 did it at start up for a second so i thought nothing of it, but if its constant i would look at getting it replaced as soon as possible.

Even thought the belts where only changed 10k ago, you will need to get them replaced again when changing the variator - putting old belts back on is a big no no. As long as they changed the pullys these should be ok, but inspect them for bearing movement and wear.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey

What exactly are the consequences of a knackered variator? Just running lumpy and reduced performance, or can it ultimately cause an engine failure? Since it just controls the valve timing I'd imagine not the latter but maybe I'm wrong...
AO Silver Member
County: Aberdeenshire

It starts off as noise, you can delay the next stage by doing frequent engine flushes and oil changes but soon it will be inevitable:

your fuel economy will begin to suffer and the variable valve timing will come in late, then finally:

The engine may stall on startup untill a loud tappet rattle stops (unless you hold the throttle untill the noise stops). the variable valve timing will not be able to hold so you will lose power all the way up the rev band.

This is all from personal experience so don't listen to anyone that says "it does nothing but makes noise".

Your engine will not die but i wouldn't leave it too late.

Alfa GT 3.2 V6 - Daily Driver.
Alfa 145 QV ph1 in green (Death by rust project) For Sale.
Alfa GTV TS ph2 in blue
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 31-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0ts

thank you guys, this is great, you're all so helpful. dont know what i can offer back but if you ever end up in a ditch in tipperary i will do my best for you ( paramedic)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT