Have i just experienced LIMP MODE - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Have i just experienced LIMP MODE

Hi All, Just after a bit of advice as I am still new to Alfa ownership.

I have a 2005 1.9 GT JTD, now the car has been stationary in my driveway for the last 6 days and its been ****ing it down. (don't know if this will have any bearing on the situation)

I set off for work this morning and the car had no power in all the gears, it struggled to get up to 2k revs. I plodded around the block for a good 20 mins to see if it just needed warming up. At junctions I stalled the car a couple of times due to no power in first.

When the car eventually reached around 3k revs it took off like an F1 car but below that no power at all no matter how much I pressed the accelerator.

I managed to get on the motorway and up to 70 (in cruise control) and it seemed fine, however when I stopped and then set off at a junction it had no power again, managed to get back up to 70 but would not go past 2k revs so I pulled off and slowly drove home.

Also when I turned on the ignition this morning a message come on the control panel saying "water in diesel filter"

Is this the so called LIMP MODE I have read about and any ideas what could be the problem?

Sorry for the long message but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Limp mode tends to shut you down to low revs, so since you say it went well over 3K revs once you got there, it sounds unlikely that you've triggered limp mode. I take it you haven't got a "Motor Control System Failure" showing?

It could be a MAF problem....try unplugging the MAF and see if it behaves better.

Water in diesel is not good, of course - I'd get your filter changed asap.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 09-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Thanks for your reply.

No I haven't had the 'motor control system failure' showing. I have been out in the car twice now since it happened this morning and both times it was fine. Power from the start.

No smoke is coming out the rear end and it ticks over at just under 1k nice and quietly with no tapping or anything untoward.

Think I will have to just monitor this over the next few drives and if it returns then I will contact the dealership as I have a 12 month warranty with it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

experienced , limp , mode