156 JTD 16v Clutch Issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 01-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Renfrewshire
156 JTD 16v Clutch Issues

Hi Guys,

After driving around Glasgow the other night in fairly heavy traffic the clutch started to judder in engaging in first and second gears. Clutch pedal felt fairly heavy too and had to push right to the floor to engage first gear. It got a bit easier overnight but still judders in first.

I had read some of the threads relating to heavy clutch etc and decided to look at the selector arm and linkage.

This morning i stripped out battery, tray etc and removed the selector arm and bush and oiled the shaft. Gave everything a good clean and greased it up before rebuilding.

Took of the gear linkage at the top of the box and cleaned and greased the shaft and parts.

The gears selection is better and smoother and the clutch doesn't feel as heavy or notchy.

However on driving there is still some judder on first gear engagement.

Couple of questions:

How much movement should there be in the selector arm/shaft. When not attached to the slave cylinder there is about 5mm of play in the shaft, is this normal?

For the slave cylinder how much should it move when activated? I measured that the shaft moves around 22mm when the clutch is pressed.

I'm now thinking that the clutch will need to come out and get replaced. Its not slipping as the car accelrates fine and there is no funny noises from the gearbox/clutch.

Any recommendations for clutches? are there any ones to avoid? If or when the gearbox is off any other jobs to do when its all apart? (Slave cylinder looks a bit cruddy so its getting replaced too!)

Any advice welcome

Cheers Guys,
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Yes a bit of movement in the arm/shaft is normal when the slave is disconnected. Vibrations could be flywheel or clutch related. is there any noise, that changes with the clutch in or the clutch out? Any noises from the bellhousing as the engine is started or when it is shut down?

The original clutch is made by Valeo, which is all I ever use. Most LUK clutches for Alfas are Valeo clutches in LUK boxes. I would avoid anything else.

Are you having a crack at it yourself?
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 02-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Renfrewshire
Hi Pud,

Thanks for the reply. I would say that there are no unusual noises coming from the bellhousing but i'll check again today. OK thanks for the advice on the clutch types i had seen a few on the net but always good to get some advice from the alfa-guys

Yeah will be doing it myself, ex-RR mechanic so like to keep my hand in LOL!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 16v , clutch , issues , jtd