Coolant Woes on my GT V6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 01-05-15 Thread Starter

Member car:

GT V6, 147 2.0

Coolant Woes on my GT V6

Hi y'all

Feel free to point me to the GTA forum if I'm in the wrong place, but it looked like there was more technical talk happening here.

Ok, so I buy my new V6, first day I use it to go to work and the car's unhappy. It's running cold and, as you'd expect, guzzling petrol. I've got a 147 2.0 TSPARK and it gets up to 90 in about five minutes on a warm day, but in the GT I made it 25 miles down the motorway and it failed to get up to temperature. I got to work and ordered a new thermostat (I haven't fitted it yet).

It did the same thing again yesterday. It was a little better on the way home when it was warmer, but! -
... when I arrived home and parked the car I noticed some white smoke coming out of the bonnet. Then I noticed a neat 'S' shaped line of liquid on the road where I'd just parked. Nothing suspicious under the bonnet (in fact, it was eerily cool), but the car had dropped ALL its coolant on the road. The expansion bottle is empty and the car is standing in a big puddle.

I checked the oil, it's between the min and max on the dipstick and there's no 'mayo' that I can see.

Any thoughts as to why it'd suddenly reject all its coolant...?

Last edited by i-am-iron-man; 01-05-15 at 09:02.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
The only thing to do is to start looking. If it has dumped its coolant, it has a hole somewhere and it should be easy to find. A common failure is the steel pipe under the radiator - you can get a stainless replacement which fixes it for good.

Fill it up with water from the hose and watch where it is pouring out....

Thermostat is easy and yes will murder your fuel economy if it is broken.
AO Member
County: Highlands
You say that you just got the car, so, & I'm not particularly familiar with the V6, and no doubt someone will come on who certainly is, but.....

Baby steps & stupid question time.

!. Presume that you drove the car before getting it - what did it do then?

2. Has any work been done on the engine / coolant system recently? - that you are aware of.

3. Does the temperature gauge move at all.

4. Did you give the car the once over when you got it & check all levels or were you so over the moon at getting the V6 you just drove it........?

5. You say its guzzling fuel so that shows that the ecu is getting incorrect / no signal from thermistor so the sensing system needs to be checked out. ( possibly incorrect if its not immersed in coolant).

6. What happens when you refill & run the engine, in the way of leaks etc.

Answers on a postcard may give help to pinpointing the problem (or two problems - fluid loss & indication / sensing)
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Your lucky it was still running!

I had coolant and thermostat problems when I purchased mine as well, although not as bad as yours. Like RXE says the thermostat is an easy diy job and makes a massive difference to fuel economy when working correctly. My coolant leak was coming from the pipes leading to the heater matrix at the back of the engine. Not a good place as the engine had to be tilted to get at them. Then it required someone with very small hands to replace them. It could also be a corroded radiator in which case you can get a 156v6 one to replace cheaper than a gt v6 one.

3.2GT V6 - Gabbiano Blue - M-Tec Shortshifter - Wizard Cat Back - Rest standard
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Definitely check the radiator, mine had to replaced not long after I got the car as it was leaking. I have also recently replaced the thermostat and fixed a leak from the thermostat housing - there are three outlets from the housing, two to the cylinder heads and one to a pipe to the water pump. These each have two 'O' rings which had perished and were leaking.

I would fill up the coolant again and look for leaks with the engine running. It sounds like it is loosing quite a bit so will hopefully be easy to spot.....

If it's running cold you need to replace the thermostat, as the other guys have said.

Visit my Flickr pages at

My Alfa History: 1983 Alfasud Sprint Speciale, 1999 145 Cloverleaf (QV), 2001 156 2.0 TS, 2003 156 2.0 JTS
My Current Alfa: 2005 GT 3.2 V6

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

coolant , woes