RIP Alfie - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 29-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Warwickshire
Exclamation RIP Alfie

So there I was driving along with the window down for the nice weather listening to my one working speaker in my dear old 2003 wagon that served me faithfully for over 3 years. Suddenly a loss of all power engine light on and I drifted casually into a lay-by. A few encouraging words and I turned the key but it sounded like the starter motor wasnt engaging. An hour later the trusty AA turn up and inform me in a few seconds flat that the cam belt has gone and therefore valve damage, piston problems, plagues and pestilence etc. Short-hand "your engine's knackered mate".
So my question to all you good folk is can any of you fit a secondhand engine? or would you like to buy a 1.8 sportwagon with a broken engine?
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Sorry to hear it pal. It'll be sad if you have to let it go but engine rebuilds/replacments are not the cheapest. Autolusso have a 1.8TS for sale on eBay if you decide to go for it, hope you manage to get it back on the road.

Last edited by baxter2308; 29-04-15 at 19:36.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Sorry to hear about the failure. When was the belt last changed?

you can fit a second hand engine for a cost. Unless you do the work yourself the cost can be quite high. Plus you might not kniw what that engines like.

Some times its just as cheap to buy a complete new car though. Depends how much time ir how good you are with spanners.
AO Gold Member
Sadly, realistically, its cheaper to buy a "chance-it" replacement off eg Ebay for a few hundred rather than rebuild your motor....your ca worth 150 or so....
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire
This happened to my spider one month after a cambelt change it through a Conrod, I'm having a replacement engine fitting with all my new tensioner transferred over and a new cambelt for 700 by Neil at auto italia parts in Cannock. (1500 for engine rebuild) although This is the second bottom end fail I have had on a twinspark spider, I'm currently looking for a fiat coupe 20v turbo engine to later upgrade my spider as I don't have much look with twinspark.
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
If the car is otherwise good (check for rust) it is worth saving. The problem with buying a new (old) one for peanuts is that the state of the bodyshell is really pot luck. If yours is sound, then an engine swap (do the clutch at the same time) will get you a nice reliable motor for several years.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , engine , sportwagon