No-fault accident: insurance advice please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 28-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: -
No-fault accident: insurance advice please

This morning on my way to work I was hit from behind in a queue of traffic. It was in a 30 limit, a queue of cars slowed up, and I braked from perhaps 15-20 mph to a standstill. only to hear a second ro so later that dreaded "Bang!"

After I'd picked up my glasses out fo the footwell, I got out and it was a young woman in a 14-reg Fiat 500.

Then came the familiar "My Dad's a mechanic, he can fix it", and I was non-committal. What's in that for me, I thought, I'm fully comp, clearly not my fault...

Anyway, i arranged to get in touch tonight with details, and left it at that. But later I got thinking and wondered if going through the insurers was such a good idea. My concern is, the insurers will say, new bumper, plus all clips etc, respray and fitting, and before you know where you are, the bill will be a grand or so, and they'll say, sorry, beyond economic repair, you car's only worth 1500. I lost my old 748 that way, and the insurers wouldn't let me buy the bike back afterwards either. I don't want money, I just want my car fixed, and I fear going through the insurers will mean at worst, I risk losing it, and at best, perhaps some hassle with it being registered as Cat C or whatever. Bottom line, would I be satisfied with a less-than-perfect repair and just keep the car on the road? And the answer, through gritted teeth, is yes.

I plan to get in touch with Autolusso, who have serviced the car, and seek their guidance, but if any posters have any thoughts I'd be interested to hear them. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 748_1.jpg (62.5 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

I own a body shop and bought my GT as cat c. The damage was not much more than your showing there. FWIW

I personally wouldn't get the insurance in over an older car because as you say they wont really want to know but the fact is its YOUR car and if you ask YOUR insurance to repair it, they have to, at a repairer of your choice.

They should also let you have it back if they write it off. (I believe not 100% bikes are different because of higher chance of structure damage, i.e frame damage).

You could visit an independent bodyshop and ask for a repair price without involving the insurance using a second hand bumper e.t.c.

Just out of interest what does her car look like after the incident?
AO Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

Personal experience from very recently see: (Taxi used my GT as an emergency brake)

The insurance company paid out more than what I was expecting and I now have a nicer GT then my previous one, the most important part is that the accident did damage my back, I have had weeks of physio and its still not right, this may not be the case for you but it did take a few days for the effects to become evident.
AO Gold Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

As above ^. If you do not go through insurance then you can't claim for any injury (assuming you are genuinely injured and your glasses on the floor suggest you may well be).
[for insurance]

On the flip side it is I think highly likely to be at the very least a CAT D. I have a CAT D and now realise the repair was.. adequate at best. That is more down to the repairer/previous owner(s) than me though. I bought as a CAT D and therefore bought it cheap.
[against insurance]

Then there is the weighting that may be added to your premium because insurance statistics suggest that drivers involved in (any, even none fault) accidents are more likely to be involved in another.
[against insurance]

One last thing. My GF's daughter nudged a taxi driver with her old car and offered to pay for repairs, he agreed and then went and told his insurance, eventually she had to tell hers. It all got a bit messy because she thought she'd agreed to pay the repair costs for his car out of her own pocket. Point being is you do not know the third party and what they will do.
[for insurance]

FWIW if and when (I guess it is probable on today's busy roads) I'm ever involved in another accident I will just do the insurance as ultimately it covers your ass and makes sure you get the best and safest overall outcome.

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 29-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
Thanks for your responses, guys. I am not at all injured; it was a very low speed impact.

Damage to her car looks superficially better than mine, but on closer inspection I suspect it's worse. You can see on both (outer) sides of the headlights where the front panel has 'pinged' out.
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

I suspect the insurance company will write it off. My wife had a similar superficial shunt in my last car (rather dull Toyota) and they deemed it uneconimical to repair. I got a reasonable payout but it was an inconvenience. It depends how much you want to keep the car I guess. If the insurance company writes it off you can always buy it back as a Cat D or whatever and have it put right yourself. They gave me that option but I fancied buying my GT instead So you could just get a new car if you are not that botherd about your current motor.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Best to go through insurance. It is what its there for. Best to just let them deal with it. Especially if its a non fault job.

For reasons above. I have done both approach on small clang's and its been okay but now as my insurance is 10 yrs ncb. Plus protected and I'm old. I'd always do insurance job now.
AO Member

Member car:

Mito 1.6 JTDm

For everyones info I had a no fault accident with my unattended parked vehicle. Luckily I was alerted as my mate saw it through his living room window. The person that was driving the car was the daughter, she ran to her house and her dad came out with her details, so we exchanged (after a few pleasantries were exchanged).

I had a bit of a panic when I was informed by my insurer that because I didnt exchange details with the driver directly, even though I provider her name/address/tel number and insurer the insurance could not follow up on it directly with her. The only hope I had was that she rang up her insurance to report the accident.

Fortunately she did and it was ruled in my favour as we had admission she was the driver at the time and the circumstances were 100% in my favour regardless of their excuses.

My car was 15 years old, deemed a write off even though the damage was relatively minor. Offer was made to third party insurance to settle, they didnt bother replying so the repair was authorised and taken care of. (sadly as I was looking to sell and replace anyway ... would have been ideal)

Anyways ... always exchange details with the driver if possible and get as much detail as possible. I got lucky, if she had denied driving the car it would have got messy.

Go through insurance, its a bind but its what you pay them for, then any claims now or in the future related to the accident will be dealt with. If you dont claim now and they claim with a fake story, if you dont have independent witnesses you could be swizzled.

Last edited by b1gduk; 29-04-15 at 16:52.
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
When my 54 plate SW was damaged the insurance company paid for the repair. That involved a NEW rear door and bodywork repairs to the rear wheel arch. I was surprised because I thought they'd write it off. The other party offered to pay (repair was 1700 + hire cost) but I went through insurance because that way you're covered if costs escalate.

My next insurance premium for the GTA went up by 18 event though the insurance company recovered all costs - mad I know.

Last edited by TOX1C; 29-04-15 at 18:18. Reason: Typo!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

accident , advice , insurance , nofault