Gliptone Leather cleaner/conditioner - anyone used it? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 '01 2.4 JTD

Gliptone Leather cleaner/conditioner - anyone used it?

After reading some positives about the gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner, i dug deep into my pockets and bought some for my 147. It looked great when i first cleaned cleaned it but

1) I didnt even use a quarter of the bottle of conditioner - 1 coat only as per instructions however others have said 2 coats is necessary?
2) It has dried matt
3) There are some areas which have white areas (looks like my autoglym days when the conditioner did not dry properly) almost looks dry.

Is it just me or how have others found this?

Last edited by mlatalfa; 23-07-07 at 17:51. Reason: More info
Sponsored Links
Re: Gliptone Leather cleaner/conditioner - anyone used it?

I didn't have any problems at all with this and have been very impressed. Took the seats out and used the cleaner as instructed (I did it twice), re-dyed the edge of the drivers bolster where the colour had worn off after sending a leather sample (red) and receiving by return of post.Then conditioned again as per instructions:result is nice supple leather, slightly worn edge is totally unnoticeable and the smell has lasted nine months so far (no smokers).

Haven't noticed any white areas and the finish is a nice dull shine both on seats and door panels.I didn't particularly go easy on it but also have more than half left of both bottles. I may do it all again shortly as I've now replaced three of the door panels which were damaged,it was a bit nerve wracking changing the inserts too

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

I found that when using the Auto Glym product i also got the white patches here and there a few days later. I just wiped down all the seats with a damp cloth, dried them off, and they came up great.

Not sure if this would work in your situation, but worth a try?
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

I have used it and it is very good. The leather in my car was quite hard, due to not having been treated for a long time when I bought it. After a few coats it is now soft and smells like real leather.

It does sometimes dry Matt, but I found this mostly when the leather was warm. It does come off if you sit in the seats though, of wipe them over with a damp cloth as stated above.

It is better than the autoglym leather care which IMO is rubbish in comparison.
AO Member

Has anyone tried the ZYMOL range of leather cleaners and conditioners? Top end detailers use these products on prestige cars and swear by them as they contain natural ingredients, the trick apparently is to apply them on slightly warm seats. I have heard reports that some brands of leather cleaners may contain solvent based ingredients that can lead to premature ageing if used continuously.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cleaner or conditioner , gliptone , leather