Power Steering Pipes. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By Bezste
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 23-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire
Hmmm Power Steering Pipes.

So, picture the scene! I come out to my beloved Black Beast one morning, to find fluid underneath. Upon closer inspection I discover that it's power steering fluid and the pipes have finally given up! So 170.00 later I have a nice shiny new set from The Alfaworkshop. When I come to changing them I am having the most almighty problems in removing the pipe from the reservoir to the oil cooler. Does anyone have any experience of successfully completing this job and if so, is there any chance that you could give me some clues regarding the best way of removing the pipe.

Subsequently fitting the new pipe, without damaging it, would also be helpful.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

147 jtd 16v mjet

All I know it's big arse of job I got quoted around 400 from Rusper alfa
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
I paid 230 fitted so that sounds expensive!
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 24-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire
Just for the record the job has been completed! To remove the old pipe the answer was simply rip it out? In the end I think it ended up coming out in 4 pieces. It's not needed again, so it didn't really matter how many pieces it came out in! Incidentally it has to be attacked from the drivers side wheel arch (initially I wasn't sure if it came out of either side or underneath the car!).

Fitting the new pipes was made much easier by separating them. I fitted the reservoir to cooler pipe first , as I guessed it was going to be the most difficult to do. After several attempts at feeding it in I sussed that it had to be fed in from the front of the car (where it connects to the oil cooler) and be fed around the route. This was OK until it came to getting it around the steering rack. For some reason I couldn't seem to get the pipe past the rack, no matter what I tried! I solved this problem, rightly or wrongly, by removing the protective cap from the end of the pipe and it passed over the steering rack fairly easily. The next issue was to push the metal pipe into place above the steering column. This took a leap of faith to gently put pressure on the pipe and wiggle it into place. It actually went in far easier than I thought it was going to.

The lower pipe was simple enough and fell straight into place! Then it was simply a case of filling the reservoir with fluid (1.2 litres) quick 5 times lock to lock, check for leaks (none found) then top up reservoir. Put car back together again and do the 5 times lock to lock, with the engine running!

Job done! I have to say though, I'm happy to help people with this job in future, but never want to do it again!!!!!

AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Thanks for the info. Should prove useful to many in the future (hope not me though!)
Currantbun34 likes this.
AO Member
County: Lancashire
I nearly ripped my hair out when I was doing this -.-

I've now got a rule when buying another; if they're leaking I'm walking away.
AO Member
County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

I do recall it being an awkward job, but I did it on a LHD car.
Mopping up a puddle of power steering liquid with my hair while concentrated on getting the pipes out was one of the low points of that day...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

pipes , power , steering