smoking JTD - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTD Moon Blue

Originally Posted by CJO View Post
I do not think so - I was talking to Ned at AutoLusso at the weekend about this issue as mine is smoking abit he advised that he is getting some silicon pipes made up as replacements, he was hoping to have them in shortly.
Can't u get performance pipe replacement ?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
no one makes them as far as I can find
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
County: Bedfordshire
Originally Posted by CHF View Post
Can't u get performance pipe replacement ?
We are having some made, they will be available any day

Thumbs Up Same problem with split pipe

Hi All,

Just a quick message to say thanks for all the people who gave advice on this post and the pics some put up. I have just had the same problem on our Alfa 147 JTD and thought it was something serious but found a 3 inch + split in the ait intake pipe!!!

So thanks again to you all.

I've got the same issue on my 2.4 20v - heavy smoking under heavy acceleration, mild smoking under mild acceleration (so it's not the "normal" diesel smoke when flooring it). The EGR has just been replaced, but it didn't cure the problem - I'll check the pipe tomorrow and if it's that, my current indie mechanic will have one very unhappy ex-customer.
Funny enough, I believe the amount of smoke is also influenced by the (supposed) fuel quality - I could swear the car was smoking less when I filled up with Shell V-Power something instead of the usual OMV diesel I'm using. But again it might have just been placebo.

One partially unrelated question - at what RPM do you guys shift gears? The reason for which I'm asking - in order to reduce the amount of smoke sent out when shifting (obviously more at low revs), I've changed my shifting habits from 2500 with a cold engine / 3000 rpm with a warmed-up one to about 3000 rpm higher for each occasion. Am I doing something wrong there?

Totally unrelated - just completed at 2500 km trip across Germany and Austria and the Alfa didn't miss a single beat. The only problem was me scratching one alloy in a very tight parking lot.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

jtd , smoking