Life with a 156 - Page 52 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.8 TS

Replaced my thermostat today!

First time i've really had a go at something like this, but so far it seems to have gone OK!

Took it for a spin, no longer sitting at 50 degrees C, warmed up after about 5 minutes and as a bonus the heater now blows out hot air.

Thanks to all previous posters relating to the thermostat as advice was invaluable and gave me the confidence to do this myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

Honda S2000

My 2Ps worth

Again, I was after an Alfa for ages, been a member for years on here until I got one a few months ago, nearly bought a Delta EVO2 once and should have done!

I had just sold an Impreza turbo and was using our old trusty Marea 2.4TD estate until I found another car

I had a small crash in the fiat and was written off, needed a car asap and the Alfa was nearest to us that was estate and had roof bars and a towbar (should we need it)

On getting the car (2.0TS SW) and driving off I was utterly disappointed, I thought there was somethiong wrong with it, it just didn't move on accelerating, I have since come to the conclusion that its due to the fact that its the first car i've had for over ten years that didnt have a turbo and jesus did I know it

Had the car a few months, done about 8k in it and its not too bad could do with a turbo
Not a patch on my year 2000 Impreza and that had done over double the miles
I dont rate the Alfa as a drivers car at all, maybe its mine but its too soft, my old fiat had better steering feel, I get the feeling its on the Marea floorpan (maybe it is ?) and that puts me off a bit although I liked the fiat a lot

The Alfa has never let me down, never broke but one day i'll get another Impreza or at least something with a turbo.

Interior is nice though.

Latest - Honda S2000

Previous Alfa - 52, 156 sportswagon 2.0TS
(Post Link) post #1278 of 1561 Old 18-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Powys
Hey LeeMc
Horses for courses, my old man had a Marea jtd, and I thought it was great, one of the most underrated motors on the road...The guy who did my cambelt had a 20v, and he loved it...'till he got his oily paws on my 156...

As an aside have you checked the MAF - A 2.0 should be pretty much as quick as a 20v Marea (I think) but hey ho, also mine is an sp3 and they are harder sprung...Very firm ride.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
being used to diesels doesnt help, the thrust of the turbo aint there, but the revs are, twinny need revving
AO Member

County: Lancashire
personally after 3 weeks of owning mine, i am loving the 550 miles per tank!
I have plenty to do and mostly it seems fairly easy to do - the consumable items like servicing, brakes etc... but life with my 156 thus far is good
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
So I decide to replace the faded front grille badge, bloody windy outside so I park the car on our (sloped) driveway, which is a bit more sheltered compared to the road. Get the grille off and bring it indoors, seperate the chromed bit, spend half an hour struggling to get the old badge off and have to destroy the old one in the process. Shiny new badge stuck on, put it all back together and on the car - looks much better. Get in the car to go to the shops, seat belt won't move. WTF? Lots of pulling and pushing at the belt to try and get it to move - to no avail. Prise off pillar trim to see if there's an obstruction by the inertia reel, nothing, but a clip in the centre of the pillar goes 'ping' and breaks off. Another half hour of frustration and eventually I give up and roll the car back to its normal parking spot... and try the belt... and it works fine. A search on here finds this is a common problem with no apparent solution.

And now my damn pillar trim won't go back in place, the side clips don't seem to have anything to clip into (and yes, I've held the rubber doorseal back out of the way first), and the central clip being broken obviously doesn't assist at all. One of the side clips then commits suicide in my hand when I press it really gently to see which way it is meant to bend. Alfa must have a research facility that finds them the shoddiest and crappiest quality of plastic for anything that needs to hold together.
(Post Link) post #1282 of 1561 Old 19-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpersimon View Post
personally after 3 weeks of owning mine, i am loving the 550 miles per tank!
I have plenty to do and mostly it seems fairly easy to do - the consumable items like servicing, brakes etc... but life with my 156 thus far is good
So James Dean Fan (signature, sadly prophetic for Jimmy Dean RIP)

I get 'round 'bout 280-300 280-300 miles per tank, don't you ever hammer 'er
(Post Link) post #1283 of 1561 Old 11-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Going to the Breakfast club meet on Sunday, all being well....
And had to get my boss from his house this morning as his Be Em had refused to start

Life with a 156, suits me sir
AO Silver Member

County: Ceredigion

Member car:

156 2.0,155 8v

Hi Jason, long time no see
(Post Link) post #1285 of 1561 Old 14-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ady006 View Post
Hi Jason, long time no see
Indeed Ady, you been around and avoiding me, or offline? LOL
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0,155 8v

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason156 View Post
Indeed Ady, you been around and avoiding me, or offline? LOL
No, i been out the AO circle for a while,but now i got me a 145 2.0 clover(loving it) ,i will have to get up your way on a meet in the new year.
(Post Link) post #1287 of 1561 Old 16-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ady006 View Post
No, i been out the AO circle for a while,but now i got me a 145 2.0 clover(loving it) ,i will have to get up your way on a meet in the new year.
You know the old 145 2.0 is a Real class Alfa, an' I rate 'em loads
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
You know the old 145 2.0 is a Real class Alfa, an' I rate 'em loads
I agree - I would much rather have a late 145 QV than a 147 2.0 TS.
(Post Link) post #1289 of 1561 Old 20-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Still hoping to sell my Cybox exhaust system, will throw in the decat (homemade) with the stainless system, got to be a bargain for someone around the ton mark, plus a tenner for p&p ???
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
I am 33 yo now. When I was 8, my eldest brother (10.5 years older than me) bought a Sud, 1.5 Ti. It was a rust bucket, but ****** me, it could move with that Flat 4 in it! That was that. I said to myself that when I grow up, I will buy one of these Alfas in Rosso (as his was!).

Then 2.5 years ago, I was checking the local Auto Trader when one became available and it too was a v6. I never dreamed of owning a v6, just an Alfa. But now I'll never buy a TS either. I bought that car in June 2 years ago, and every day feels just like the first day and I get in, sit down (I'm Italian and got the 'long arms and short legs'!) and when I turn the engine on, it's automatic that I get that ear to ear grin.

Yes, I think we're there. Just once is all it takes!!!
(Post Link) post #1291 of 1561 Old 20-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaowner76 View Post
I am 33 yo now. When I was 8, my eldest brother (10.5 years older than me) bought a Sud, 1.5 Ti. It was a rust bucket, but ****** me, it could move with that Flat 4 in it! That was that. I said to myself that when I grow up, I will buy one of these Alfas in Rosso (as his was!).

Then 2.5 years ago, I was checking the local Auto Trader when one became available and it too was a v6. I never dreamed of owning a v6, just an Alfa. But now I'll never buy a TS either. I bought that car in June 2 years ago, and every day feels just like the first day and I get in, sit down (I'm Italian and got the 'long arms and short legs'!) and when I turn the engine on, it's automatic that I get that ear to ear grin.

Yes, I think we're there. Just once is all it takes!!!
Your liking the 156 then?
I can't think what else I'd want to own right now...
GTV 3.2 facelift, or a GT or Brera, but probably a Fiat as Alfa's seem to be holding their value far better than they have for years....And thats great news, especially as it shows a lot of the stereotypical comments are getting debunked all the time.
(Post Link) post #1292 of 1561 Old 24-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

to all of my Alfisti friends out there,
Merry Christmas to you all
Nadolig Llawen i pawb
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Hello im selling my 156 2.4jtd 20v mjet saloon 175bhp lusso with red leather and light wood steering wheel and gear stick. car is silver and trust me i dont want to sell it i just need too. i have had some fun and a few problems but car is serviced and working great at the moment, list of parts i have had done, cam belts and variators(tentioners), aux belt and tentioners, all filters, 2 thermostats first one went faulty in first few months so had to fit another knuckle shredder changed the first due to it running at 70degree's and falling when cruising but all in working order now, map sensor, mass air flow meter and finally one intercooler pipe at top used the old pipe to wrap around the bottom pipe where it rubs on (gearbox i think) to save the bottom from wearing through. but i cant complain its got 116000 miles and drives great as well maintained. im a picky alfa driver any lag or odd smoke and it niggles me until i find the problem and sort it. the car has loads of character which i will miss but sum day after selling mine i will own one agen sooner rather than later i hope. selling due to company car they wont let me have an alfa as company car tho. so its a boring vw dash makes u fall asleep. after i crash a few due to it being boring they might get me an alfa lol 4500 due to millage but it has been well looked after so im dissapointed to have to lower the price just due to its been used and enjoyed

Last edited by alfadaveuk; 24-12-09 at 20:55. Reason: forgot to put a price lol see u can tell i dont really want to sell it
AO Member

Loving this thread..........and my 156....can you imagine driving a Ford Focus now...how thoroughly depressing....when I drive my Italian thoroughbred along the raint Welsh bendy bits I can be in Italy in a second.....Tuscany, Pavrotti, Alfa Romeo........dream on
AO Member

Quote:
Got to be Silver, I don't like silver cars as a rule but the 156 looks so fine in silver, Must have a Red leather interior, ....
You had to search for that spec??
I got it without searching.....

Infact I wanted the spec you have and I got this instead..... Here's my story...
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/blogs/knightjp/
(Post Link) post #1296 of 1561 Old 05-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Help

Some ECU probs today....
Got to town 11 miles from here and injector light came on limped to work and did a reset.....
Car runs fine at tickover, but when you rev it she delays before revving and every time you back off the throttle it goes back to tick over and delays again got back home and put my fault code reader on it, it doesn't work on my car properly, but did sort out a fault before...somehow.
Any way coupkle of miles up and down our village and light (ecu) comes on again and problems back, turned it off to open house for family and it was ok to reverse into garage...but light still on...

Any ideas guys?
Jason

Bright Yella Fiat Stilo 3dr 1.9 jasons tractor diesel Cruise, dz climate, n leather, so many toys now with 17" claws
Sadly the STILO is for sale, I've now got a Renault Master beavertail
I pop in here to have a look now and again-but don't know what to say
Written off in the prime of life...My Bella.
2.5 V6 SP3 156 Cosmos Blue, Black Momo leather, Carbon dash.Freeflow cat, pipercross filter,Smoked repeaters, Scuddetto centre grill, blacked out side grille bars.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Feels like turbo lag when you put your foot down?

If so, 99% throttle pot error of some sort. Pedal end, throttle body end, or the wiring/connector behind the glovebox.
AO Member

Quote:
Some ECU probs today....
Got to town 11 miles from here and injector light came on limped to work and did a reset.....
Car runs fine at tickover, but when you rev it she delays before revving and every time you back off the throttle it goes back to tick over and delays again got back home and put my fault code reader on it, it doesn't work on my car properly, but did sort out a fault before...somehow.
Any way coupkle of miles up and down our village and light (ecu) comes on again and problems back, turned it off to open house for family and it was ok to reverse into garage...but light still on...

Any ideas guys?
Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post

If so, 99% throttle pot error of some sort. Pedal end, throttle body end, or the wiring/connector behind the glovebox.
Probably right. If there is one thing I love about my 156 is sharp response on the accelarator pedal. Loose that and it ruins the experience...
AO Member

It's not just me who's attracted to my 2.4 SW - I parked it in a private car-park next to a ski chalet last winter and 'someone unknown' (let's call him the guy in the beat-up Peugeot 205, who came to clear the snow away from the doorways...) reversed into the rear bumper :-( Then, two weeks ago during a rare visit to the UK, a guy in a transit hit me in the rear at a road junction - no visible damage done, until the reflector dropped out a few miles later :-( :-( She's obviously irresistible.
I have long limbs, and so find the driving position a bit 'unhelpful', but the fuel economy (JTDm) is amazing and the driving experience - turning-circle and ground clearance excepted - is all I'd hoped it would be. And at six years old it just sailed through a (French equivalent) MoT with no problems - the test guy loved it!
Odd Thing during the present cold snap: when I start from cold I get brief failure warnings for ABS & ADO, but then all seems well... strange. I'll also have to replace a handbrake cable, as it freezes on if I park overnight with H/B applied ('Leave it in gear', says the local dealer...). Oh, and try - again - to stop the stereo cutting out on one side due to poor door-mounted speaker connectors (sigh).
FWIW, a small tip: I recently cured a rain-water leak from the upper seal at the rear of the rear door by injecting clear shower-sealant into the gap which had opened up as the rubber had shrunk. Perfect, much cheaper than a new seal, invisible and instant.
(Post Link) post #1300 of 1561 Old 06-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post

Cheers Dan, will look at glovebox wires 1st, I was kinda thinking lambda sensor due to the show and slush bouncing around ATM,
Any easy tests for pot trouble? ( I have checked MAF) Its an intermittent fault too....
Will keep y'all posted

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , life