147 JTDm 16v Rattle at Idle - Alternator Pulley? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 10-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

'04 147 JTD 16v

147 JTDm 16v Rattle at Idle - Alternator Pulley?

Hi all,

I dropped my 147 JTD off at my local indie for its MOT yesterday and I asked him to look into a rattle thats recently developed at idle. As soon as revs go over ~1200 its fine but at idle there's a noticeable rattle/rumble noise.
This is not affected by whether clutch is engaged/disengaged, nor is it affected by being in gear. My indie said he thinks its a pulley on the alternator which has a bit of play in it and is clattering around. I was quoted ~200 to fix this (3 hours labour @ 45, 45 for the pulley and then VAT). The 3 hours labour is because the back part of the exhaust and the alternator have to come off to replace it.

I have a few questions.

1) Do you think this is the cause of my rattle? Is anyone able to shed some more light?
2) Am I safe to continue driving like this?
3) Do you really need to take the alternator off to fix this?

I'm really not wanting to spend 200 to get a rattle fixed considering how much this car has cost me over the last 18 months

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

Sounds like the problem I had:

It fails in 2 ways, either seizes and doesn't freewheel causing chattering noise at low revs, or slips in both directions which ultimately overheats the bearing causing it to fall apart (the pulley falls off). Easy to check if it's working properly. Falling off is obviously the worse case but if it's seized and chattering it will probably cause other damage to the Auxillary belt parts especially the tensioner.

I changed it without removing the alternator completely, just released it from it's mounts and turned it enough to get a wrench on the pulley. If you had the right tools you could probably change it in situ, there's room but custom tools required.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 16v , alternator , idle , jtdm , pulley , rattle